**** DONE: 1/48 Ju88G-6 NJG6 - Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! I'll have another update soon. I shot the mottle with the pencil technique and after looking at it and just not digging it, I did it all over again.

Thanks guys! Didn't get a chance to upload my recent progress due to work and after-work commitments. I have been able to get the camo scheme finished and the decals applied this week so I am approaching the finish line on the Nachtjager.

Like my previous Toryu build, I used a watercolor pencil to gently mark the mottling scheme on the wings.
IMG_0513_zpsd7qgp2nv.jpg

I then used my airbrush to paint the mottles within the pencil marks. I did the wing and tail surfaces this way but the fuselage was freehanded.
IMG_0517_zpsdehek9v7.jpg

The rudder was masked off using flexible Tamiya White masking tape and then painted black.
IMG_0519_zpshq9awdw7.jpg

I sat on this for a couple of days, not quite satisfied. The pencil method of mottling is good for a tight, harder-edged mottling but the Luftwaffe mottling (with exceptions of course) tends to be softer-edged. I tried to soften the mottles but I was making them bigger and losing the RLM76 between.
IMG_0520_zpsuizwukxl.jpg

So I made the decision to re-do the mottling. The fuselage camo was free-handed and the mottling there was a little softer so I decided to leave that and do just the wings and the horizontal tail surfaces. The preshading was applied straight over the 76/75. I also decided to leave the hard-edged mottling on the engine cowlings. Some of the pictures I've seen seem to indicate a different painting style of the Jumo "power egg" so I thought a contrast between the upper wings and engine cowling would be interesting.
IMG_0526_zps00vzizcu.jpg

Another base of RLM76 was applied over the pre-shading.
IMG_0527_zpsocqienfu.jpg

And then I free-handed the mottling. Smaller and softer with more space between each mottle.
IMG_0528_zpssf9jibsz.jpg

Satisfied with that, I gave the model a coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss in preparation of decaling/panel wash. Decals on this bird are minimal. The kit decals as well as the MSAP sheet have not included stencils outside of the yellow triangular fuel fill indicators, which I used. The MSAP decals were ok... not great. They were on the thick side but reacted favorably to MicroSol. The decal backing also had a milky residue... some sort of adhesive? I did my best to remove it prior to application but any small amount that remained seemed to disappear.
IMG_0529_zpsajkkg9wg.jpg

IMG_0531_zpsju9w0jmf.jpg

IMG_0532_zpsv1gzuchf.jpg

Another clear coat to seal the decals and I'm ready for some weathering.

Last edited:
I used my own mixture of pastel chalk (brown+black) mixed in water for the panel wash.
IMG_0533_zpsetfzrzi7.jpg

IMG_0535_zpsfxzaaxd6.jpg

A flat coat (Alclad Aqua Gloss + Tamiya Flat Base in an approximately 5:1 ratio) was applied to seal the panel wash.
IMG_0537_zpsdbuwaljj.jpg

IMG_0538_zps9poacy09.jpg

IMG_0539_zpsaxlr6y8o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back