**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109G-6 "Yellow 17" - Night War of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As long as it's not killing me! Thanks Jeff.

Landing gear done with brake lines applied:

15120401.jpg
15120402.jpg

I fixed the fuselage band colour and it's now closer to the numeral colour. A matte coat was then applied - Future with 5 drops of Tamiya Flat Base. I've given up on my Testors Acylic Flat Clear as it's turned dusty on me lately.

15120403.jpg

And now standing on its own feet:

15120404.jpg

Should knock this one off this weekend. Thanks for looking.

Well, completion of the model did not happen. Pretty busy with Calgary Hurricane restoration stuff, researching the paint scheme and preparing a shop drawing. Nonetheless, I got a bit done. I added some home made shoulder belts which are good enough to be partly visible through the closed canopy and stuck some brass barrels in the cannon gondolas.

Not very happy with the windscreen and rear canopy fit.

15120802.jpg
15120801.jpg

Given that close-up photos are so unforgiving, the canopy fit looks decent. Great work on the belts and guns!

Thanks all.

Given that close-up photos are so unforgiving, the canopy fit looks decent. Great work on the belts and guns!

Believe it or not, I had already sanded down the width of the fuselage at the rear canopy AND sprung the canopy piece wider at the bottom before gluing with CA. I could not sand any further without making the cockpit sill look tapered, nor could I risk widening the part further without breaking it so this was as good as it was going to get. The basis for this Italeri kit is the Academy one. Had I known, I may not have bought it.

Last edited:
It sounds like you did all that you could do without crossing that "line" that might result in a broken part. It really doesn't look that bad in the close-up photo so I'm sure it's barely noticeable in person. The only other thing I could think of would be to thicken the rear frame of the canopy by adding strip of thin styrene. Probably easier said than done... it's a bit of complex curve along the top edge.

Maybe....except that it fits OK at the top. Widening the top would have caused a step in the clear part to fuselage joint and I would have had to reshape the clear part.

C'est la vie. It is what it is, and all that stuff.

If we're talking about the rear (fixed) canopy section, I think it's more than acceptable. Remember that this, although 'fixed', was jettisonable, along with the opening section, and did show a joint, as it was not 'blended in' to the fuselage.
Once the main canopy is in place, and under 'normal' viewing conditions, as opposed to a macro lens, I think it will be fine - OK, perhaps not as good as you'd like it, but good enough.

Thanks everyone.

I'm pretty much at the point now where all the bits and pieces that need to go on now are done and painted. A final inspection, touch up and spots of dirt will be applied tomorrow or Sunday and I'll then get my finished pics up then.

The machine gun fit was something I should have foreseen and attended to before painting as the troughs are too shallow where the gun stubs are to go. To fix this, I drilled out the troughs at the ends and deepened the area with a jeweler's file. The gun muzzles were then drilled out, glued in place, and painted.

15121101.jpg
15121102.jpg
15121105.jpg

The armour plating was installed in the canopy with the supports scratch built and the canopy was put in place. Of course, after it got glued in, any hidden dust particles suddenly felt compelled to come out of their hiding spots and find their way to the inside of the clear parts.

15121104.jpg

I discovered very late that I had clear nav lights left over from my Zvezda 109 kit and set about doing another thing that should have been done before painting. The Italademy kit does not have clear parts here, just molded-in panels so I set about cutting these out, installing the Zvezda clear parts, filing them smooth, and then repainting the area. The kit pitot tube was also tossed in favour of a scratch built one.

15121103.jpg
15121106.jpg
15121107.jpg

Thanks for looking in and for your kind support. Another hour of work or so and it'll be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back