**** DONE: 1/48 Ju88G-6 of 3/NJG 101 - Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The camo looks great Andy! I wouldn't sweat the imperfections either since the field applications on the real thing was probably messy too. Hopefully the decals arrive SOON!

Thanks John. I'd expect they'll arrive tomorrow or Thursday. In the meantime, I have plenty of other things to catch up on.

The main tires had been painted a while back. At this point. I added the brake fitting and hose and, after painting these, I gave the wheel a dusting of an earthy colour, thickening this effect on the running surface:

16030101.jpg

16030104.jpg

The tail wheel got a similar treatment:

16030103.jpg

The last couple of days also saw the creation of new dipoles for the radar. As I did not have access to fine tubing to create the varying thicknesses, I tried the same method that I used on my Me262B-1 whereby the borders were masked and 3 coats of primer were built up to increase the diameter. Not the prettiest but these may survive a passing glance.

16030102.jpg

Finally, I added the two remaining cannon barrels. As you can see, there has also been a start to the underside weathering, the completion of which I'll show later.

16030105.jpg

By the way, the access hatch is just temporarily fitted to act as a mask to prevent paint from getting into the interior.

Looking very good Andy! I found the Albion Alloys Brass Tube Slide Fit Tube Selection Pack (0.3mm, 0.5mm, 0.7mm &0.9mm Brass Tube) to be very useful. It's available at Sprue Bros.

Thanks guys.

John, I was not aware that Sprue Bros had them. Will order a set. BTW, got your decals today so I plan on finishing the stab tonight.

And finished it is. Pics of both sides follow. John warned me that the decals would be thick and he was right. They also had an odd milky coating on both sides that only became apparent after I pulled them off the paper. Though I did not realize the extent with the first swastika, the later decals were completely rinsed off with a brush and water before applying them. The one swastika also split on me in the process and I'll need to dab a little black paint on the tear before I apply the final matte coat tomorrow.

16030201.jpg
16030202.jpg

Here's the underside awaiting addition of the remaining sections of the landing gear after a matte coat.

16030203.jpg

This weekend is going to be crazy and I don't see getting this one done on Sunday but it will be close.

You've captured that unique scheme wonderfully Andy! Definitely an eye-catcher! I'm glad that you were able to utilize those decals. They were a bit funky with the thickness and milky residue but it looks like you got them on ok!

Thanks all.

Near disaster today set me back a few hours. I was spraying a clear coat over the top surface with my Paasche VL. The cup on this brush has a press fit tube on the underside and the thing let go on me, spilling a half cup of Future mixed with a few drops of Tamiya Flay Base on a large area of the wing and running underneath. I had to work quickly and cleaned off the spill with a paper towel and managed to get it cleaned up. The problem was that the rub down obliterated some of the squiggle pattern:

16030301.jpg

After some choice words I made up another batch of RLM 83 in my Iwata brush and went over the area again, very carefully tracing the original pattern.

16030302.jpg

The result turned out pretty good. The lighter areas in the above photo are actually the result of a slight sheen rather than a colour difference so I'm happy with how it turned out. Next it's on to the fiddley bits.

Great recovery Andy! I've always looked at those incidents as a way of introducing variations into the paint scheme. I'm sure these kinds of touch-ups also occurred in the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back