**** DONE: 1/48 Ju88G-6 NJG6 - Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you guys! I'm wrapping this one up very soon. I have multiple subjects lined up for the next GB so I'd like to jump in as soon as it starts next week. After the flat coat, I could start to add all of the doodads, starting with the landing gear.
IMG_0540_zpsqsg49tgl.jpg

The landing gear went into each well without any problems. As you can see, most of the detail that I added into the wells gets hidden by the landing gear mechanism.
IMG_0544_zpspfiyswgc.jpg

IMG_0545_zpsoozobhnc.jpg

IMG_0546_zpsg4dwaxua.jpg

I turned the tail wheel slightly to give the static model some dynamics.
IMG_0548_zpsqll3xizr.jpg

The exhaust stains were painted and the exhaust dampers were glued into place.
IMG_0549_zpsage2xkxp.jpg

IMG_0550_zpsumkignsj.jpg

The landing gear doors were glued in.
IMG_0553_zpsuwivs5oj.jpg

IMG_0554_zpseuiw8gbo.jpg

IMG_0555_zpsw3dvov3y.jpg

After this point, I started attaching everything else and didn't pause for any pictures. This included the pitot tube, the fuselage antenna, the small antenna on the bottom of the wing, the wing light (which I sprayed clear yellow), the bottom cockpit hatch. All of the masking was removed. Finally, I added the radar array on the nose and the tail. I still have a couple of more things to do like paint and attach the NAXOS radar housing that goes on the top of the canopy. I've also lost the ladder that goes on the bottom hatch. But essentially this beast done. Rain is expected soon so it may be a few days before I get the FINISHED post up but here are a couple of shots for now.
IMG_0556_zps4niaimqc.jpg

IMG_0558_zpsv1otdpq4.jpg

It's turning out beautifully John. The painting of the tail wheel is a masterpiece. One thing though, the swivel arms on the main gear (parts A13 and A14) don't look like they are correctly installed. The instructions are very unclear about this but the arm should actually face forward about 30 to 45 degrees and the link goes almost straight back to the fork. They didn't put a hole in the fork to receive the pin on the end of the link arm so, without a reference, it's almost impossible to figure out what they want you to do with these pieces. There's quite a bit missing there (the fork is actually part of a triangular space frame) and I'll post what I've done in this area on my model tomorrow but in the meantime, here's a diagram of how the set-up is supposed to look.

Capture.JPG

Andy... that piece was indeed a mystery so I just oriented it similar to the instructions and so that it didn't get in the way of the other pieces. I'll try but I don't think I'll be able to get the main gear leg off to rectify so it'll probably remain. Not my best work but I wanted to get this one out of the way in time for the start of the new GB, like I said. Looking forward to seeing how it is SUPPOSED to look like (plus many more additions) in your build.

I'm glad you mentioned the tail wheel. I was quite proud of how the paint and weathering came out on that and was surprised when I didn't get any comments on it.

Since I didn't snap any shots of the final bits and pieces going on and my inability to take the finished pictures due to the weather, I'll share some close-ups of the finished model, cruddy light and all.

The rear antenna array. The mount for the array is a very delicate piece. Due to the duplication of sprues, the kit has two of these mounts but both of them broke.
IMG_0559_zpskbh64pg4.jpg

Here is a view of the top of the fuselage showing the Shrage Musik cannon and direction finding radar. The aerial was stretched sprue... it took me about five pieces to get one to stretch thin enough.
IMG_0560_zpsxyliuamm.jpg

You can see the weathering I did on the props and spinner. The spinner shape IS inaccurate (the real one being noticeably more pointy) but I spent enough money on AM that I didn't bother replacing them.
IMG_0562_zpsszctjwny.jpg

A closer view of the rear gun and the gunsight that was added to the barrel. I was happy with the way the scribing on the top of the fuselage came out.
IMG_0565_zpsqk9fdkae.jpg

A view of the bottom. I found the boarding ladder hiding in the kit box. I may have mounted the ladder incorrectly but it seemed to fit better this way.
IMG_0567_zpso7vo8duy.jpg

The scratched DF loop and bottom hatch came out pretty good.
IMG_0569_zpspiroxtws.jpg

Another view of the landing gear with the wheel mounted. Weathering was kept very light.
IMG_0570_zpsc7aa5xwk.jpg

The small antenna under the wings were PE pieces supplied by the kit. One good thing about steel PE is that its much stronger in place than brass. I think the tiny arms would've been gone by now if they were brass.
IMG_0571_zpscdmvrnm5.jpg

A peak into the the tail wheel opening after the gear and the doors have been added. You can't really discern the bulkhead work that was done.
IMG_0572_zpslvtrx8ql.jpg

Another view of the bottom. This is the biggest kit I've assembled yet. I can't imagine what building the Revell 1/32 Ju88 must be like.
IMG_0574_zpsrzm8azcx.jpg

I lost alot of the pastel work on the tire with the application of the flat coat.
IMG_0575_zpsjxaoydym.jpg

When the weather clears, I'll get proper pictures in good light so that you'll get a better sense of the color scheme. Cheers!

but beautiful !!!!!!, magnificent, but magnificent, job john

Thanks guys! It was fun build. Not the masterpiece that Andy's Nachtjager is shaping up to be but I'm happy with some of things that I did on it. The bad weather looks to have blown over last night so I'll try to get the finished pictures up soon.

Sunny skies but lots of wind in San Diego. I tried for a photo shoot today during lunch but the sheet of white poster paper background bent over in the wind and knocked off the stretched sprue aerial. Doh! Emergency repairs were conducted... Luckily I didn't have to redo the whole array but had to MacGuyver the connection at the forward antenna post since the broken aerial line was now too short.

Finally got a chance to shoot my latest "model"... get it??? Here are some glimpses of 2Z+AW before I get the FINISHED post up...
JTK_9353_zps4ojxubtw.jpg

JTK_9365_zpsqhzhxy56.jpg

JTK_9360_zpsicatfg9b.jpg

JTK_9347_zpsufkf3ceh.jpg

JTK_9342_zpsc1f08q80.jpg

JTK_9348_zpst8dj8xka.jpg

Ack... the tail radar was knocked slightly askew during shooting. I didn't really think about it during shooting but now that I look at the pics, I think a reshoot is necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back