**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109G-6 "Yellow 17" - Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mixed up a batch of RLM75 and squirted that on to catch any final imperfections.

15120201.jpg

Having now seen this and filing out a few faults, I decided that there was a need to break up the grey so I added the RLM74 splinters which the grey would presumably have been sprayed over. The intent was to leave a bit of the splinter showing through the grey. The batch of RLM74 that I prepared was a bit on the green side but no matter as it would be mostly painted over anyway.

15120202.jpg

Another very thin coat of 75 was then applied, leaving just enough of the underlying splinter scheme to show through, though the effect is not easily seen in these photos. Lightened black, used on the underside, was thinned down a lot and the blacked out crosses were added. These were initially sprayed through a rough paper mask to locate the lines and then over-sprayed freehand. Patches were also added at the swastika locations, on the fuselage sides where it looks like an old number was painted over, and at random locations just to break things up some more.

15120203.jpg
15120204.jpg

The underside showing the deliberately patchy black application:

15120205.jpg

This bird looks really odd right now (one for you Geo!) and should clean up with the decals and clear coats applied. I'm going to try the EagleCals yellow fuselage band decal as I usually find it hard to match the colours with the decal numerals so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for tuning in.

Last edited:
This looks like a quick one Andy! Very interesting camo finish... should be quite striking once the decals are on!

As it turned out, EagleCals did not have the fuselage band included as a decal so I ended up having to mask and paint it anyway. And, as predicted, I got the colour match wrong and will need to redo it. The decals are nicely printed. The rudder art came as two pieces so that the intricate pattern could be properly lined up and it turned out nice.

15120301.jpg
15120302.jpg

Wow - that's really come to life !
Nice work Andy, and to be honest, the yellow tail band looks acceptable (in shade) to me, on my monitor. Of course, I understand that it very well may look totally different to the naked eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back