**** DONE: 1/48 OS2U-3 Kingfisher - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, got a serious question, need a little input here. The interior of the Kingfisher is not interior green or zinc chromite. From the color photos I can find of the Smithsonian bird it looks like a very dark gray or black, the B&W photos here in the gallery would seem to bare that out as well. Anyone have a good input on this little issue, come one come all, let's hear the Navy fans out there.

Attachments

• Kingfisher 2.jpg
    Kingfisher 2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 205
  • OS-2U3.jpg
    OS-2U3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 346
  • vought_OS2U-4.jpg
    vought_OS2U-4.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 198
  • vought_OS2U-5.jpg
    vought_OS2U-5.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 199
  • wojtek.JPG
    wojtek.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 199
  • vought_OS2U-6.jpg
    vought_OS2U-6.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
A little more info on Dull Dark Green:

Dull Dark Green:

Originally thought to be a variation of BG #9, the actual color card was discovered by Dana Bell in 2000. DDG is a deep, bluish green color. Accepted as a replacement for BG #9 circa 1941 due to complaints about reflections from the gloss BG #9

Nearest FS # 34092 with DDG being somewhat darker and a little bluer.

Available model paint: White Ensign Models DDG is a good match out of the can. Model Master European I Dark Green slightly darkened. Poly Scale IJN Green.

And please remember that the FS34092 was used for real planes. Using the same colour for a model can cause its different appearance. Therefore the Model Master European I Dark Green seems to be a good equivalent because it doesn't need to be lightened.

Last edited:
Yeah I got that great info Wurger, Thank you all, If I see the photos correctly the lower sides and floor are flat black and the upper decking and trim in 34092 would be correct. Even the B&W's seem to bare this out.

Last edited:
I'd paint FS 34102 (in my case I use Gunze and Vallejo in this color I use Gunze H303) and give some clear (Gunze yellow green C16) for this type of color for shading would give the FS34092 (H302 gunze), as I do to give depths directly with paint, so what would I do for this scale

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try and keep that in mind, I've already started the painting using Vallajo model color flat black and Testors acrylic model master 34092. I'll have to try that though and see how it comes out.

OK the cockpit instructions call for a cunck of the lower wing center to come out to make room for the cockpit.

KF3.JPG

so I go that cut out and per everyone, And I really thank you all, and per Dana Bell (He just calles for Dull Dark Green)

kf1.JPG

I went with the Vallejo (My new best friend in the paint world) 34092 as all called for.

KF2.JPG

and got some internal paint laid down. I had painted it black (Flat) first as per the internet photos that is what it looked like and inthe B&W it is really hard to ell. I shot over the blacka nd some of that black should help to shadow a bit.

KF4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbright:

Don.. may I ask you for checking of anthing in the book? Is there a picture of the bulkhead just behind the pilot's chair? Was there a small , round window?

Wurger, here I am going to share a few pages excerpt, but yes it looks like it does

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg