**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D Thunderbolt - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like them both to be fair. Especially being an airbrush novice so to speak.
I have been thinning the Vallejo paints as I always seem to block the airbrush if not, but I think I might need to use a retarder instead of thinning?
I spray between 20-30 psi, is this too high? Not sure if its the quality of the actual airbrushes or something else. I just seem to have to strip and clean between every cup fill or else I get a blockage. Which leads to me throwing various items around the kitchen in frustration 😡 worth it for the finish V brush finish though.

Cheers Chris

Thanks again.
I think it's that suspiciously addictive smell of Tamiya paints that makes it a winner.

Cheers Chris

I like them both to be fair. Especially being an airbrush novice so to speak.
I have been thinning the Vallejo paints as I always seem to block the airbrush if not, but I think I might need to use a retarder instead of thinning?
I spray between 20-30 psi, is this too high? Not sure if its the quality of the actual airbrushes or something else. I just seem to have to strip and clean between every cup fill or else I get a blockage. Which leads to me throwing various items around the kitchen in frustration worth it for the finish V brush finish though.

Cheers Chris

Sounds typical of the acrylics I've tried. They dry in the brush and you'll need to clean more often. Try a retarder but it just delays the inevitable. 20 to 30 psi sounds a tad high. I go 15 to 20, sometimes lower for delicate stuff like mottles.

Maybe "thin" isn't the right way to describe it,... Translucent. Yes, that is more like it. It might be that the only ones I have were purchased second hand at a swap meet.

Bad batch or very old. I've been really happy with the Tamiyas, though I'd prefer not having to mix all my colours. That being said, once one has the satisfactory formulas, it's no big hardship at all and you can premix oft-used colours in old bottles.

Thanks all. Well I've dropped the pressure to 15psi and stuck with the Tamiya Olive Drab. Result! Went in fine and got two fills with no blockages 👍

Shot of the underside with smoke markers and raft pods in location -

63D78276-D14A-4445-BF39-3E8EB7762DEF-28170-00001D2E7A321DF3_zps5ee50720.jpg

Finally a shot after some paint. -

7C314A32-499A-4835-B1E3-8ACE2730D912-28170-00001D2E9BC81C66_zpsbd48bf64.jpg

Now to get the underside done.

Cheers Chris

Thanks guys.

I'm going to resort to using a spray can of gloss clear coat after the poor result of applying gloss with an airbrush on my Hurricane. I can't be having a frosty looking Tbolt.

Cheers Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back