**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D Thunderbolt - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A little on the tail when i removed my masking because I haven't used a primer (this months budget didn't stretch that far) but that in any case will be covered with a yellow stripe. Also since bringing the pressure down in the gun everything is running sweet so I'm well happy. I might even give the gloss clear coat a try. On scrap first though!

Just need to get the invasion stripes applied now.
I'm guessing, paint whole area white and then apply black over the top?
Also any idea on the scaled down width? 10mm or 6mm would be handy for using Tamiya tape lol.

Cheers Chris

I see. As far as these D-day strips are concerned .. each one was of 45,7 cm width. so.. 457mm/48=9.52mm. It is less than the 10mm Tamiya tape at about 0.5mm. Well.. if you want to use the 10mm tape you have to have room for 50mm=5cm white area at wing tops and undersides.

Excellent, trimming .5mm off the 10mm shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers Chris

Thanks all, the ruler is coming out tonight.

The underside work in progress shot.
Raft pods are not attached yet and will be glued after invasion stripes are painted -

5F78A982-801D-4240-9610-58CB6856473B-29492-00001EA97E43E1CE_zps1894b27e.jpg

Cheers Chris

Looking really very nice. A tip for the future... it is easier to paint stripes before many details are attached. I mean landing gears , underwing fuel tanks etc... It is enough to loose an attention and something can be broken.

Thanks Wojtec. Point noted and experienced last night when attempting to mask.
I thought that leaving just the pylons may have been ok but they are getting in the way.

The fuel tank and raft pods do come off though.

Also attaching the landing gear doors was bad idea as well. They may be removed with "force" tonight and then carefully re attached once the stripes are on.

We live and learn I guess.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
This is too late for this build but might help in the future for the wing stripes. Before you paint the camo colors, lay down the white paint. Place five equal widths of tape side by side on the top and bottom of the wings, as Andy said, in 1/48 scale, 3/8" wide. (You'll have to deal with the compound curves of the fuselage differently.) Paint your top and bottom colors. When it's dry enough to handle, remove the second and fourth pieces of tape and paint the black stripes. The model is coming along great Chris.

Geo

And another trick: Put some Blu-tac or equivalent in the wheel wells and press on the kit wheel well doors and covers unitl they are flush with the wing. Then mask as you would the wing itself and paint the covers and wing all in one shot. This ensures the stripes end up in the right place on the covers and also masks the wells at the same time.

Thanks for the comments and advice all.
Be sure that my next build to include invasion stripes will be done as suggested.
I've manage to mask up pretty well today and put a quick coat of white on.

The sand paper is coming out! The white for some reason has reacted and looks pants!
Ill get there in the end.

Cheers Chris

Sometimes I get an impression that nobody listens to me. All light ( bright) colours must be applied fistly. I have repeated it so many times I stopped counting. Oh boy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back