**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D Thunderbolt - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glenn - thin blade will be fitted thanks.
All - thanks for the kind comments.

Had an epic drama with my aquarium this week so will startin back the modelling tonight. Updates will be coming.

Cheers Chris

Well, after a week out of the sadle I managed to get some building time in tonight.
99% of the assembley is now complete, with just the life rafts and smokes markers to attachch to pylons once my superglue order arrives.

A couple of pics from earlier tonight.

4E0486EF-2A20-456D-B2AC-8C014634E096-17833-0000122B3697A981_zps9be5e31c.jpg

D4607117-44D1-4EAA-BDD0-AA3B4ABCDAD5-17833-0000122B2E83268F_zpsb474354d.jpg

Hopefully ill be getting busy with some painting action by the end of the week.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
Thanks Guy's.

Still not too sure what to do with the two redundant gun ports.
I don't suspect they would have been left uncovered but blanked with what is the question?

The only options I can think of are either a fabric or metal covering.

Cheers Chris

Thanks Terry. I haven't seen any clear views on the web but find plenty of reference of them only having the four guns.
The only model I have found has eight fitted, so that's not much help.

Cheers Chris

I found no close-ups in my references of a 4 gun installation. The close-up in the Little Friends link definitely has the holes covered. If it were me, I'd cover them with a small square of thin Scotch Tape to simulate either a metal or fabric cover.

Thanks all.

Peter - it sure does. It's the first Tamiya kit I have built and I love it.
Ill be sticking with them for my 1/48 builds where possible from now on.

I'm going to be attaching the life raft pods to the pylons by cutting a pin and attaching it though a hole I will drill in them both. I don't think the kit pylon itself will be strong enough to support the weight.

Cheers Chris

I found no close-ups in my references of a 4 gun installation. The close-up in the Little Friends link definitely has the holes covered. If it were me, I'd cover them with a small square of thin Scotch Tape to simulate either a metal or fabric cover.

Ill give it a go and see how it looks. The Photo on little friends (although not clear) shows it looking very flush. I think if it was fabric covered you would still clearly see the outine of the holes still? Then again, with in the field mods I suppose they could have removed the panel and blanked off the holes flush.

I guess we may never know.

Cheers Chris

At this point, you are safe doing it whichever way you like. Personally, I would opt for the "blanked off", as these aircraft were modified for a specific role.

I will trial a few different ways and see which one looks best. The use of a blanking plug/plate in the bore of the hole could look good as it would still add detail to the model instead of just being flushed over.

Cheers Chris

I've found two pics showing guns removed from P-47s.
One shows a camouflage-painted training unit aircraft, with the two outboard guns on each wing removed, the other shows the well-known, 'war weary' two-seat conversion 'Category E', with all guns removed. In both cases, the ports appear to be covered with individual, contoured, round, flush-fitting bare metal 'blanks'. If this system was also used on the SAR aircraft, which is likely, they may or may not have been painted.
A third photo shows a bare metal 'bubbletop' aircraft, post war, again with the outboard guns removed, where the two ports appear to be covered by a single piece of material, rectangular in shape. This might be fabric, although it has the same tone as the surrounding bare metal, and is shown in a B&W photo, so difficult to tell if fabric or sheet metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back