**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D Thunderbolt "Razorback" - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glenn, it was just failure on my part to pay attention. When I glued the wing itself together I didn't apply any glue to the back edge of the wing. This allowed it to spread apart as I attempted to install it thus causing the problem. The wing has now been reinstalled as of this morning and is drying. I may do the fill work this evening. And it looks a lot better. I have a little bit of a gap to fill from the cutting but nothing serious.

Well, I have managed to destroy my canopy. I have been away from it for to long. This ain't goin well. Working on the flaps at the moment. I may be able to salvage the canopy but need to cool off a bit.

Despair not Aaron - I have a spare canopy you can have. I promised Glenn the windscreen from the Monogram 'razorback' (and I still haven't sent it!!), so you can have the canopy if you're unable to salvage the kit part. Let me have an address by PM, and I'll get it sent next week, when I know I'm going to be in town. (I can send Glenn's part too - and Steph's, and ....!!).

Thank you Terry. I am going to try and fix what I have I think, I got glue on the windscreen inside and managed to scar the side of the canopy with the knife. I will try to polish the windscreen and fix the canopy with some future. I need to learn how to do these things anyway.

OK Aaron, no problem. If it's not too deep, the scars should polish out with 'T-Cut' / metal polish and toothpaste. If it doesn't work, just shout, and the canopy will be on the way to you.

Thank you Andy, I have a question about the flaps. Would the zinc chromate yellow cover the area that is not seen unless the flaps are lowered of is this painted the OD green like the rest of the top surface? I have looked everywhere I can think of and cannot find anything definitive on this.

I've seen both variations Aaron, and I think also bare metal, on the areas normally hidden when the flaps are 'Up'. I should have some photos somewhere, if you can wait a day or so.

Here's some pictures I've collected from the internet over the years. First pic is from the war years and the rest are restored P-47s. Looks like the inside if the flaps are painted the camo color on camo birds and left aluminum on NMF ones.

As far as the canopy scratch, I had a bad one on the canopy of the F-94 I'm working on now. It was so deep I had to use needleel file to get it off. I then used 400 grit wet sand paper to get the file marks off and went throw 600 and 1200 grit papers before moving on to a fingernail polishing stick and went through the 3 grits on that. after a dip in Future it looked better that new.

Attachments

• p47d40rc_7.jpg
    p47d40rc_7.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 110
  • p47gflapunderside.jpg
    p47gflapunderside.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 123
  • P-47%20ARS%202%20001.jpg
    P-47%20ARS%202%20001.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 112
  • p-47d_226413_16_of_40.jpg
    p-47d_226413_16_of_40.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 95
  • p-47d_226413_27_of_40.jpg
    p-47d_226413_27_of_40.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 117
Good pics Glenn, and saved me posting the wartime one - I was going to post the same pic!
Here's another one Aaron. This is the P-47 in the American Museum at Duxford, which has been restored and finished as authentically as possible, based on photos of the actual aircraft. Got some detail shots of this if you need them (it's a bubble-top, but the main details are the same anyway.)

Attachments

• Czech 212.jpg
    Czech 212.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 96
Thank you Terry! Both yours and Glenn's shots show the the overlap section of the flap to be red. The kit does not indicate this so I would have missed this. Excellent guys. Thank you both.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back