**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D Thunderbolt "Razorback" - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well........not to bad so far. I got the majority of the little ones on. Just gotta do the stars and bars and call letters. The red No Step zone in the flaps disintegrated when I put them in the water so I'll have to paint these sections and hope I can find four No Step decals to put on them. Wayne, regardless of where it is tomorrow I'll post some shots tomorrow evening of it so you guys can breathe easier.:)

Sounds good Aaron, and the important thing is, you're enjoying it!
If you can't find any 'No Step' decals, let me know. I have a few, in white, which are the 'Clear Fix' type, from a RAF Phantom multi-sheet set. More or less the same size and style, and dead easy to use. They press in place and, once satisfied that they are where you want them, just press down to fix them, dampen the tissue covering, and it dissolves, and 'Hey Presto'!
They are the type I used for the 'Firebird' on the fin of the Tornado - very nicely printed and sharp. I wish the company was still producing decals, as they were brilliant, with this huge set costing less (at the time) than the average single sheet of decals.

Ok folksand Wayne here are the photos. Not done with decals just yet but getting closer. Spent the day getting my dad set up with his new lap top. I would like you guys to critique where needed. There are some paint mistakes I am going to correct. I don't know if I'm going to leave the white stripe on the engine cowl or take it off and paint it on like I did the left side of the tail. I could not get the red around the landing gear to quit bleeding into the surrounding paints and gave up. And a couple of the little eye crossers moved after I Micro Soled them. So here goes.

Attachments

• 07 13 12_1034 resized 20.jpg
    07 13 12_1034 resized 20.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 07 13 12_1035  resized 20.jpg
    07 13 12_1035 resized 20.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 07 13 12_1036 resized 20.jpg
    07 13 12_1036 resized 20.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 07 13 12_1037 resized 20.jpg
    07 13 12_1037 resized 20.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 07 13 12_1038 resized 20.jpg
    07 13 12_1038 resized 20.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 07 13 12_1039 resized 20.jpg
    07 13 12_1039 resized 20.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 07 13 12_1040 resized 20.jpg
    07 13 12_1040 resized 20.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 07 13 12_1041resized 20.jpg
    07 13 12_1041resized 20.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 07 13 12_1042 resized 20.jpg
    07 13 12_1042 resized 20.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 07 13 12_1043 resized 20.jpg
    07 13 12_1043 resized 20.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that I have some P-47 "no-steps" here somewhere, let me sort through the pile...
Did you put a gloss coat on before the decals?

Last edited:
I do have the red "no step" decals for a P-47, PM me with your address and they are yours!
I will send some other P-47 stencils too, you can see if they will do you any good.
Side note, they are a couple of years old, do you want me to put a coat of liquid decal film on them, or do you have that covered?

Looks pretty good Brooks. The only critiques I would offer is to echo what you've already said about the white band at the cowl. The overlap on the right side is not quite aligned. The other things I see are that the decal on the tailplane looks like it's a bit silvered and this will become more obvious when you flat coat. If you dab some MicroSol or Set on it and poke it with a sharp pin, you may see an improvement.

The decals are on the way, there are some white stripes on there too, I'd try one of those to see how they hold together before putting on any liquid film.
Should be there in a couple of days, you know the USPS!

Thank you VERY MUCH PAUL!!!!:notworthy: And Andy, I had notice the same thing and dabbed some more Micro Sol on them last night. It is fixing the problem but will take a couple more coats of MS to alleviate the problem and thank you for the advice sir.:thumbleft:

Looks good Aaron, and nothing to add from what Andy suggested. If new white stripe decals don't work, some careful re-touching with paint and a fine brush should cure the misalignment.

OK, the it's a re-touching job if you want to tackle it. Give the area another coat of gloss clear, and let this harden for at least twelve hours. Then carefully mask the area where the misalignment is, and paint the red first. Let dry thoroughly, then do the white. It probably won't be perfect alignment, but good enough, and not easily noticed unless looking for it. Good luck !

Terry, I will use that as a last resort, and Glenn, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll give it a try tomorrow when I'm a little more awake.Thanks you two. Much appreciated guys.:notworthy:

Looks great, shes almost done :D I should finish up my Bf-109 and give your P-47 a dogfight *nawwww* Ratatatata * Flying hand motion with hands :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back