**** DONE: 1/48 PBY-5A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That it is Wayne. A minor set back. I was test fitting a wing tip float to try and get it to sit right in the up position (it's not gonna happen) and dropped said float. Now when said float hit the floor, it could landed in several positions, but no, it touched down on a mooring ring...

...I may replace them all after sanding.

Geo

If the float is "shaded" due to a shadow, I would expect the same thing on the plate that it is attached to as well as the bottom of the hull. I'm thinking either a different color or perhaps dirt/grim/algae.

Thanks for following along. The following photo from Squadron/Signal walkaround helps not a bit with regards to the wingtip float...

...it's either totally painted, painted on the outside half or not painted at all. With regards to camo on the upper part of the fuselage, I'm going with no. The de-icer boot on the tail looks the same length in most of the photos I've seen so maybe my arrow was pointing to weathered white.(?) Also, I just noticed the very, very long de-icer boot on the leading edge, crep.

Geo

Im watching this with a lot of interest Geo. hope you dont mind, but whatever you find on this, Im likley to pinch it for my build as well.....

Let me know if you object, and ill close my eyes and look away

While waiting for the wings to dry, I added some color, if you want to call black a color, which I do...

...That's all for me for another week. Next week will be the camo and those long, pesky de-icer boots. If anyone has some thoughts on whether the depth charges were British or American, it would be appreciated and I can paint those accordingly as well. Have a good rest of your week gentlemen.

Geo

Thanks o' bunch Andy and thanks Wayne and Dr. Gnomey. Just got home and will look for colors(O.D.?) and markings. I have a crew golf tourney tomorrow and 20 more days off so this sucker should get done shortly.

Geo

While waiting for the second camo color to dry I started working on the aerial depth charges which are quite nice. Some touch ups and paint scraping to be done when dry.

The camo will be finished later today and then I'll work on the massive deicing boots.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread