**** DONE: 1/48 Re.2002 Ariete - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you Thank you

Moving on, I've had a bit of time to get on with this build, so here's some more progress.

Pic 1
Apart from the fuselage doors, Italeri also get you to cut out the ammo bay doors in the wings. Not sure why they weren't there to start. Since I'm not displaying them open, this is a bit of a waste. Much easier just to use a scribe to make them visible. But I followed the destructions.

Pic 2
Engine components. Simple as. You don;t see too much of the engine, so no need to go overboard.

Pic 3
Completed engine. Main feature is those large chrome push rod tubes coming out of the crankcase at all angles, which are captured rather strangely by Italeri, but should look good behind the spinner.

Pic 4
Instrument panel was completed using instrument decals supplied. There was not sufficient decals for all instrument indentations, so those I painted black. The paint instructions call for an all light green panel but I'm a little skeptical about that.

Pic 5
All the interior parts laid out. I gloss coated them and applied a wash. The wash gave me the dark and dirty look I was after, particularly on the floor area.

Pic 6
Interior assembled and added to the fuselage half, along with the tail wheel. Added the gun sight which is overly large and has the glass at a rather low angle.

Pic 7
Fuselage halves married - no problems.

Pic 8
Once the fuselage is dry, I've added the rear decking (badly shaped if you look at the real deal!) and the pilot's headrest. This copped a coat of light green, as well as the front firewall.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• interior 007.jpg
    interior 007.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 85
  • interior 006.jpg
    interior 006.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Engine 002.jpg
    Engine 002.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Engine 001.jpg
    Engine 001.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 96
  • wing ammo bays 001.jpg
    wing ammo bays 001.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 91
  • interior 008.jpg
    interior 008.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Fuselage 001.jpg
    Fuselage 001.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Fuselage 002.jpg
    Fuselage 002.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 102
Good stuff Peter. Hopefully mine will come together a good as yours did. I have to apologize about finding this too late. Quickboost does a correction set for the rear decking. I don't know if I'll add it as only me and Dawg see the end results.

01.jpg

Geo

Good stuff Peter. Hopefully mine will come together a good as yours did. I have to apologize about finding this too late. Quickboost does a correction set for the rear decking. I don't know if I'll add it as only me and Dawg see the end results.

View attachment 250785

Geo

Thanks Geo

I did contemplate using this item, but in all truthfulness, the kit has so many errors or poor detail that to make a really accurate representation you would need to replace about 95% of all the parts! (No. I'm not kidding.).

Best not to think about it too much and just build it. It's a bit of a pity that Italeri did not not make a better job of this kit, and rather perversely, Italeri included a handbook with the kit, filled with photos and excerpts from the manual, to show you just how badly they made it! Rather than point out everything out as I go along, I'm determined to build this as simple as I can and concentrate more on the camo, markings, finishing and weathering this time round. There are online reviews that are not subtle about some of the issues with this kit, and if you really want to know what these are follow this link Italeri 1/48 Re 2002 Ariete, by Lee Fogel but hey, as I said, just build it.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Geo, Dale and Charles

Okay, here's some more progress for you.

Pic 1
Engine in place. Looks a wee bit undersize, but I'm not throwing it back. It's probably a good thing.

Pic 2 3
The canopy is next. I gave the canopy a dip in Future and let dry and then added masks. I didn't like my efforts on this pic, so I replaced them, but did not take a pic. :cry: I don;t know why...

pic 4- 8
The fun begins with the cowl. Heck! To start with I pieced it together, and there's nothing you can do about it, as it fits together with lugs that align everything. You can see here the gun troughs align as they should. Not so the upper cowl intake. I pondered that I just may hack it off and re-position it over a bit, somewhere more central. Looking closely at the problem I figured that in making the attempt it is probably going to go really badly as the intake is along a compound curve and relatively thin in places. As Bill would say, I sailed on. Not before adding the full scoop thing to the top of the cowl first as if you add it later as per instructions in won't line up easily. There's a tip Geo.

The cowl itself fits very badly on the fuselage, being very undersized on the inside diameter where they join up. You need to scrape out the inside and thin down the 'back end' behind the cowl flaps to achieve something that can be glued up. This is the half way point of scraping. Inside was painted 'anti corrosion green' as per cockpit and other interior parts as per de-structions.

Continuing the fun, those gun troughs just will not do. There's no guns for starters. And no holes for them either! There are a couple of reference pic in the manual that show the upper cowl guns either with blast tubes or without. The blast tubes are a rather large affair, and I could easily believe they were discarded in service. Since Red 5 when photographed had already had it's guns hacked out, thus I don't have a clear pic, I chose to exclude the blast tubes. There are no parts on the sprue that pass for blast tubes either. The holes were drilled out and muzzles fashioned out of brass tube. Handy stuff. 1.00mm outside diameter was used.

Pic 9
I also decided to add wing guns, and the reference suggests they poke out of the leading edge just a bit. I used .70mm for these. The kit just has holes in the leading edge, that you have to open out yourself.

Pic 10 and 11
The pitot was also replaced used brass tube and wire. You can see the plastic part is well oversized and badly formed in the molding process. I needed to plug up the hole in the wing leading edge and re-drill one in a smaller size.

Man, I thought I was just going to put this thing together. Okay, that's about it for today, thanks for looking in!

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• canopy 002.jpg
    canopy 002.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 101
  • canopy 001.jpg
    canopy 001.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Pitot 003.jpg
    Pitot 003.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 102