**** DONE: 1/48 Re.2002 Ariete - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Damned nice work, Peter. Hope you get her in on time, but, lets not mess her up at this point. That would be a heartbreaker indeed.

Looks great Peter. Hope you get it in on Sunday but certainly don't ruin a great job by rushing it!

Damned nice work, Peter. Hope you get her in on time, but, lets not mess her up at this point. That would be a heartbreaker indeed.

Have a little faith guys, have a little faith! 8)

Nothing like the pressure of a deadline.......

Okay - further progress today.

Pic 1
Here's where I was this morning. I've painted the prop, but still need to add yellow tips and prop decals. The model has received two coats of gloss, although it does not look particularly glossy. I wet sanded the areas that will receive the decals with a very fine sanding stick to make sure the decals will not silver.

Pic 2
The decals supplied. After inspecting the photos and other references, all the crosses are incorrect in design and for the lower wing ones, size also. Ahhh no. :cry:
The sheet also lacks the swastikas for the vertical stabilizer. What is this business about removal of the swastikas? I understand the bad memory, but......it's a model. Decal placement guide does not show them either, not even a blank square/ diamond shape in place.

Pic 3
These are the additional serials I got for the underwing. Part number FP901. I was after the 9mm size.

Pic 4
To convert the fuselage side decals to match the pics I had to cut off the outer black outline.

Pic 5
For the underside, the decals supplied have the white outer part of the cross much too wide, and the cross is much too small. I had an Aeromaster sheet with the correct size (larger) but I had to cut the black border off these also.

Pic 6
Top wing decals also had the narrow white border, so another set was found ex Hasagawa to complete the crosses.

Pic 7
Tail swastikas from an Eduard 109E-3 fitted the bill in so far as size and design. Decal softener made a bit of a crater in the Hasegawa upper wing cross. I'm hoping this can be sorted with another gloss coat, followed by the matt coat. OR should I replace? That's not happened before! :rolleyes:

Pic 8 9
Fantasy Printshop decals went on well for the underside, but in an effort to fix some slight silvering in the 'I' the softener melded the decal. So be careful if you get some yourself.

Pic 10
Okay all the decals done! A few touch ups here and there, but basically happy with it.

Cheers for now.

Peter

Attachments

• Decals 009.jpg
    Decals 009.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Decals 008.jpg
    Decals 008.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Decals 007.jpg
    Decals 007.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Decals 006.jpg
    Decals 006.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Decals 004.jpg
    Decals 004.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 62
  • Decals 003.jpg
    Decals 003.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Decals 002.jpg
    Decals 002.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Decals 001.jpg
    Decals 001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Paint 018.jpg
    Paint 018.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Decals 005.jpg
    Decals 005.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 61
more progress.....

Pic 1
Details to be worked on, prop, bomb and racks, alighting gear, wheels, antennae mast etc, I'm getting there.

Pic 2 3
Rather than add the prop decals, which would always looks a bit new, I decided just to paint the outline, like the front face had worn or faded away. To do this I cut a shape of the decal into frisket paper and sprayed. Then did three times. I think a bit more weathering on the prop will blend them in nicely.

Pic 4
Bomb was given a rusty lay about look. Yellow bomb markings were cut from the fuselage band decal which I didn't use, I painted the band instead.

Pic 5 6
Everything has now been added, so complete. I need to do some light weathering and do final matt coats to complete so I'll update again soon.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• details 006.jpg
    details 006.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 56
  • details 005.jpg
    details 005.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 55
  • details 004.jpg
    details 004.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 62
  • details 003.jpg
    details 003.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 59
  • details 002.jpg
    details 002.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 57
  • details 001.jpg
    details 001.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 63
Thanks CR and Wayne!

End of the line today and I've just finished up.

So here's the final progress before the finished thread is started.

Pic 1
I've added scuff marks on the port wing under the cockpit. The canopy hinged to starboard, so pilot would only be able to get this side.
I followed this with a light coat of black/grey to tone down the whole look of the aircraft so that decals were not bright and there is some dirt over the plane.

Pic 2
underneath I added dark smudges trailing back from flap and aileron hinges, wheel wells and so forth. Some exhaust staining but not much. I painted the exhaust stubs burnt iron over black.

Pic 3
I followed this with some pencil work and black highlights for the vents, holes and panel lines and cowl flaps.

Pic 4
I'm calling done I reckon, so here's how she looks prior to final coat to seal and removal of the masks.

Thanks for dropping by and your kind comments.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• details 010.jpg
    details 010.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 57
  • details 009.jpg
    details 009.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 58
  • details 008.jpg
    details 008.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 61