**** DONE: 1/48 Sea King Mk 50 – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks a bunch gents, really appreciated.

I like that Vic! What did you use for the cable? I have to make the lifting shackle and cable for the Wessex, and have some ideas, but it's always good to know what materials others use.

Terry the wire is what I believe hobby jewellers use to make necklaces, it a nicely wound and sheathed in fine clear plastic. I get mine from a large haberdashery and craft store.

120702-1A.jpg

As for the Sea King, removed the protection from the overhead cockpit clear plastic so I could house the dust filter. Also started on the winch hoist and did a bit of detail painting. I have a free day tomorrow so should be able to make some good progress…………………..famous last word.

120702-1B.jpg

Many thanks Terry, Bruce and Paul.

Same post as on the tiger; Where's the kitchen sink?

Don't tempt me Paul, if it was a bigger machine there would be one in there somewhere, just like the khazi in my Catalina, post #280

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/8-commonwealth-night-fighter/done-1-48-consolidated-pby-5-catalina-commonwealth-gb-26851-19.html.

Anyway folks, sink or no sink we had a good day and now have an almost finished Sea King, just need to give it an overcoat spray to tone it down a little, ass the navigation and visibility lighting and remove the masks.

Here we are threading the aerial through the posts prior to fixing in place. The thread is a silver invisible thread, threaded through very fine aluminium tube at .03mm ID.

120703-1A.jpg

120703-1B.jpg

The rest of the pics are just a general view of how things are. The rotors are just positioned and not fixed.

120704-1A.jpg

120704-1B.jpg

120704-1C.jpg

120705-1A.jpg

120705-1B.jpg

No kitchen sink in the U.S. 3A version, but there was a relief tube!!!! ;)
Just a little, well... not sooo little, funnel on the end of a black hose.

Last edited:
In the 3A and the 34J, which were an ASW versions, our tube was next to the sonar operator, on the side wall. I do remember cuz that's were the "emergency communication tube" was, it's hell being a greenhorn! Have no idea what the pilots had? Am sure they had something tho.

With Wojtek and Bruce!

Btw, Terry, thin solder twisted together is perfect for steel cables too (thickness dictated by scale you want to represent)

STA53536.JPG

STA53538.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for that Evan - might come in useful for some future needs. The Wessex cable was relatively thin, so I'll try your suggestion and Vics, plus one I have an idea about.
Vic, that's looking great mate - going to be a bazzin' bird when done.

Thanks for the kind words folks.

I've been a bit slack the last couple of days but in the main I've decided this one is done. Won't be doing official pics for a couple of weeks, weather is crap at the moment. It's 10am and we still have a thick mist hanging round. Anyway, with or without the aid of a flash, here is a sneak preview.

MSN-Emoticon-picture-taking-178.gif

120717-1A.jpg

120717-1B.jpg

120717-1C.jpg

120717-1D.jpg

120717-1E.jpg

120717-1F.jpg

120717-1G.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back