**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vc - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mike i get what you are saying, and for the most part id have to agree, but I still would sure like the skills just to be able to do it like Vic can. Its a guy thing i suppose......

Parsifal, totally agree I sincerely admire what Vic and others like him can and are able to do. Whittling 1/72 working winshield wipers out of old sprue is one thing, they're out there visable, but correctly placed, styled, colored, Me 109 rudder pedals in 1941 are another. I could put Mickey Mouse heads there and no one would know. The only reason I did anything at all to the interior of the B-29 was my decision to cut out fuselage sections to make the interior visable. I wonder why no one has ever thought to make clear panels for kits with finely detailed interiors. The fine detail resin parts are available. Why not a way to open those interiors to view?

Last edited:
Good stuff Vic, and I agree with Andy about the locations for those items.
They're not batteries as such though, but accumulators and /or transformers, as the main, much larger battery was located normally in the rear fuselage, with the access hatch on the starboard side, or sometimes, in certain cases, below the radio, dependent on Mark and equipment fit.
Here's a pic showing the location for that on the starboard side, and you'll notice that they're so far down that it'll be virtually impossible to see them on the model.

Attachments

• Spit oxy bottles.jpg
    Spit oxy bottles.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 93
Many thanks Andy and Terry, just the details I needed. I was still looking late last night, flipping my way through every book I have that has even the remotest info on Spits and came to the same conclusion, even to the point that it's an accumulator. and that the battery is further aft.

Mike and Michael, no sweat guys, everyone to his own. It's just that I have the bug, I like the detail and I have to admit that taking a kit and doing it OOB, feels kind of strange and lacking in challenge. Daft I know but maybe that's the obsessive, compulsive in me.

Vic, et al., please understand that absolutely no criticism was meant or intended in any way whatsoever. I truely admire your effort and skill. It is well beyond my skill set.
It is a fundamental difference in philosophy and approach to making models. I could well understand making two models one with a perfect exterior and a cut-away with a perfect interior.
When we went to Branson's, MO, Titanic exibit, someone had made a 20ft long HIGHLY detailed model of the ship. Looking at that model I somehow sensed that the interior was hollow and every hallway/stateroom/et. cetera had not be duplicated.

its fine im sure Mike. my advice, just sit back and enjoy the build, and if you are skills challenged like me, dream about the day we can do something similar.

Vic, no flattery either, a simple recognition of tremendous skill and craftsmanship. Such talent needs to be seen so it can be admired. It is sad for me to see it hidden away.
We need clear plastic body panels

Or as you have mentioned, cut the side and a few ribs out and look in. Food for thought…………….Should have done that with my big Cat a couple years back!

The B-29 with cut-outs

I like that Mike, I'll have to take a look see what's in the stash that I can play with.

And for an update, once again folks, thanks for the kind comments. It's been a slow weekend, SWMBO wanted to look at house, yet again.

Anyway I'm mostly done with the cockpit but still need to sort out the seat harness and attachments. Here are the latest pics to tempt your pallet!

20140216 - 1a.jpg

20140216 - 1b.jpg

20140216 - 1c.jpg

20140216 - 1d.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Found a bit of time for a short burst of modelling, so finished off the cockpit detail and started assembly. Here's where I'm at, almost ready to seal up, but first I have to sort out the harness anchor points behind the seat.

20140217 - 1a.jpg

20140217 - 1b.jpg

20140217 - 1c.jpg

20140217 - 1d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back