**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire MkVIII - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nicely done Andy. As for the gun sight, although the gyro sight (on which the American K-14 was based) had been in RAF service in the ETO since late 1943, most Spit VIII pics I've seen in SEAC appear to have the standard reflector sight. The film footage mentioned earlier also shows the reflector sight.
Paul, the internal windscreen frames were normally the same Cockpit Grey Green as the rest of the cockpit, although the frame for the internal armoured windscreen was sometimes black, presumably to reduce reflection.

Thanks everyone and a special thanks to you Terry for the answer on the gun sight. I've since looked more closely at a number of references and have come to the same conclusion that the standard reflector sight was the most likely installation. Whereas the picture of DG-R does not provide hard evidence one way or the other, I'll go with the standard reflector

Evolution of the gun sight starting with the kit supplied part and ending up with the ready-to-install modified piece. The reflector glass on the kit part was lopped off and replaced with a piece of clear plastic cut from one of those shirt collar stiffener thingies. Supports and foam pad were added with plastic card then details picked out in white.

Attachments

• 120630 Sight 1.jpg
    120630 Sight 1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 120630 Sight 2.jpg
    120630 Sight 2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 120630 Sight 3.jpg
    120630 Sight 3.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 120630 Sight 4.jpg
    120630 Sight 4.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 80
Great job overall Andy and love the gun sight. What do you use for magnification for the small parts? One of the things that prevent me from scratch building with small parts(besides skill) is the ability to get in close. I use 2X reading glasses but those are limited.

Geo

Good stuff Andy, it'll look bazzing once installed!
Geo, not sure what Andy uses, but I use a 'Helping Hands' desk magnifier and clamps, and one of those 'anglepoise'-type lamps with a built-in magnifier - can see the stuff then, but doesn't improve my work !

Thanks guys.

Geo, I used to have a desk lamp with magnifying glass but it packed it in. Since the last year or so, I've been using this, from Lee Valley.

Attachments

• 99k2010s1b.jpg
    99k2010s1b.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back