**** DONE: 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I DW-O 610 Sqdn BoB GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Karl. I'm thinking of spraying the area in the code colour (med gray?) and, using the decal as templates, creating masks for the letters when I spray the camo.

I'm definitely not using the Tamiya decals. The colour is somewhere between puss and dog do. Hope that describes it well.:lol:

Andy, the code letters of the period were supposed to be Medium Sea Grey, or as it was then known, Sea Grey, (Medium). However, various combinations are known to have been used by different squadrons, presumably as a result of paint stocks / mixing / interpretation, one being Dark Sea Grey !
I've got a number of references for 610 Sqn having 'Sky Grey' code letters - so I guess anything reasonably close to about Medium Sea Grey, approximately, on a Monday, at 16.35 hrs, will do !!

Looking good Andy. You're really doing a good job with all scratch building.

I've got a number of references for 610 Sqn having 'Sky Grey' code letters...

Well that sure covers the bases doesn't it! Thanks Terry, welcome input for sure, albeit ambiguous not fault of your own.

Jason, thanks for the kind comments. I had not intended to do so much detailing but I guess it's just not in my nature to be satisfied with a plain OOB cockpit.

Thanks Karl. I'm thinking of spraying the area in the code colour (med gray?) and, using the decal as templates, creating masks for the letters when I spray the camo.

I'm definitely not using the Tamiya decals. The colour is somewhere between puss and dog do. Hope that describes it well.:lol:

to a "T" mate :lol:

A little more progress to show you. I've actually been busy building some sliding shelves for the new kitchen so have not spent much time on this build lately.

First pic below shows the pretty much finished cockpit right half. The oxygen tank and hose have been added. The tank is a piece of T-shaped sprue from the kit that was the perfect size. I just cut off the stem of the T, added the two aluminum straps made from tape and stuck it on. Also completed is the little dial on the remote contactor with the red quadrant. In theory, the hose should continue behind the bulkhead down to an economizer. If it can't be seen, it ain't gonna get built as far as I'm concerned.

101009 Cockpit Right.jpg

Next up is the finished seat. Pardon the dust please. Eduard Sutton belts have been installed and the scratch built armour is added behind the seat. I made a couple of rivets on the head armour by drilling some small holes and inserting stretched sprue then cutting to length. I like the outcome. Also seen is the modified rudder pedal straps, made to look a bit floppy, and the right pedal actuator has been shortened to account for the slight crank I put in the rudder.

1001009 Finished Seat.jpg

Thanks again for checking in. I'll try to get more dust off the next time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back