**** DONE: 1/72 BV222 Wiking Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WW II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
User Name : Wayne Little
Name : Wayne
Category : Non Competing Judge
Kit : Revell Blohm und Voss Bv222 V2
Scale : 1/72
Accessories : Most likely Eduard Seatbelts and their Antenna Array

The Blohm Voss BV 222 Wiking (German: "Viking") was a large, six-engined German flying boat of World War II. Originally designed as a commercial transport, and produced in only limited quantities, it was both the largest flying boat and largest aircraft to achieve operational status during the war.
The V2 (CC+ER) made its first flight on 7 August 1941, and after extensive testing was assigned to LTS 222 on 10 August 1942 as X4+AB. Since the aircraft was intended for long-distance overwater flights, in addition to the armament fitted to the V1 she received two rear-facing wing-mounted turrets with dual 13 mm (.51 in) MG 131s, accessed via the tubular wing spar which was 1 m (3 ft 3 in) in diameter.
In 1944, the V2 participated in Operation Schatzgräber ("Treasure Seeker"), the code name of a German weather station at Alexandra Land in the Arctic, whose sick crew needed to be evacuated. The BV 222 dropped a spare wheel for a Fw 200 which had sustained damage during landing near the station.
For this mission a White overspray was applied to provide some measure of camouflage against the Arctic landscape and this will be how my Bv222 will be depicted.

Attachments

• Revell Bv222.jpg
    Revell Bv222.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 368
Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool Wayne. I don't think I've ever seen you do 1/72. I have the BV222 kit in my stash and was considering it for this GB, but with limited time to work on models in the next few months there is no way I would finish such a big model in time.

Very nice, I too have been looking but I will only do 1/48 so that somewhat limits me. I wanted to do a Bv138 or the Do-18 but no luck in my scale. Well, I did find a resin Bv138 for $440.00. I also have a line on a He115B but again $90 plus shipping. Could I put really bit tires on my P-38 and call it a FLOAT-plane?

Cheers Jeff...at this stage I will be doing the wings and fuselage separately so I can do some of it at work, won't do the final assembly till I have to, once it's assembled I won't be able to take it to work ...it's too bl**dy big!

The aim is to do the final assembly work once i'm on holidays in July.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back