**** DONE: 1/72 F4U-7 Corsair 14F.1 14th Flottile - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spherical

Airman
Jul 9, 2010
Is it possibly for somebody to change the thread title to also have the -Carrier Aircraft GB- tacked on the end? Forgot to add it :oops:

User name: Spherical
Name: Tama
Category: Beginner
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Italeri
Model type: F4U-7 Corsair
Aftermarket: OOB

I will be doing this splendid aircraft from the Aéronavale in the scheme of the 14th Flottille (14.F.1) during the 1956 Suez Canal Crisis (Operation Musketeer)

To lazy to take my own shots, but these ones (from here Vought F4U-7 Corsair - Italeri - 1/72 ) show the kit quite nicely.

Ita_F4U-7_Corsair_cover_v.jpg
Ita_F4U-7_Corsair_alles.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I get cracking on the cockpit interior I have a question about paint colors.

The kit states that the dominant cockpit color for the F4U-7 is Green Zinc Chromate Flat (FS 34151, MM 1734, Italeri 4736AP), is this accurate?
Also if it is what is that color of it in Humbrol paints? I've been woefully terrible at finding a match for the above :p

in humbrol zc green is 151 but the 78 is nice too.
the color varied according to the manufacturer.

I leave a link where you have some pictures of the plane

Corsair No 3, good on you Tama. I'm thinking that Humbrol don't do a Green Zinc paint I know I have had to make up my own with other Humbrol paints. As for being the correct colour, I would say not as from what I've seen of the F4U-7 the cockpit is predominantly black. Don't take my word for it though as there are more knowable people here who may say otherwise.

Nope you called that one right, the -7 was built for the French navy and black was the predominant color!
Very cool, love those Suez stripes!, I was too chicken to do them on the -7 I built last year, went for the Viet-nam scheme instead.

The FS 34151 number indicates the ANA611 Interior Green paint. ModelMaster/Testors 4736 or Model Master 1715. Humbrol equivalent - Humbrol 151.

model-master-acrylic-flat-interior-green-fs34151.jpg

model-master-enamel-interior-green-fs34151.jpg

Cheers Guys, especially for the painting advice!

Ive decided to paint the cockpit predominately black (Thanks to Vic and Catch), just need to find some reference shots to see what bits, all I can find are pics (of a F4U-5N converted to a F4U-7) of the control panel (which is black). So if anybody has found any that would be very nice indeed
I still need to use 'Zinc Chromate' on the wheel wells and other select areas so I went out and got some Humbrol 78 as I couldn't find any 151 locally.

@Wurger, cheers for that! Unfortunately Humbrol 78's close (but no cigar) so I plan to mix some other greens with it to get a similar shade.

@Meatloaf the stripes look awesome, I'll give the decals provided a go, and if that fails I'll try paint em' on!

Thanks to every one for all the help!! :D

Last edited:
Tama, if you want the greenish version of Zinc Chromate, I use a mix of Humbrol 78 and 80, for the yellowy shade 74 Linen,a drop of 24, and a touch of 33 or a brown. For the olivy shade I usually use a base of 150, but 155 and 159 are also good depending on the shade you want.
I always mix the ratios to match photos as much as possible, which frequently vary, even within the same aircraft.

If you need any spares for your F4U-7, let me know. I have an Italeri F4U-5N which has seen better days, good for a parts donor atleast.

Tama according vallejo color is pale green FS 34258 (modelair 71,094) in page to stockholm IPMS according the zinc chromate primer in Humbrol is 81, in Gunze H58, in Testor 1734 in the enamel,

I've been quite busy lately, but here's and update!!! Yay!!

Cheers Even, I've taken up the advice on the paint colors and mixed Humbrol 78, 117 and 74 for the cockpit olive green. And thank you very much for the parts offer, I haven't wrecked any yet but theres still plenty of time :D

Here's a shot of the cockpit panel and the Pratt and Whitney engine. I'll take some more pictures later as the light right now (when I took these) is pretty poor, and that's why these ones are quite dark.

DSC_0207.JPG
DSC_0204.JPG
DSC_0206.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back