**** DONE: 1/72 F4U-7 Corsair 14F.1 14th Flottile - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Time for another update!

Everything now is stuck together, excluding the rockets and droptanks which have a heck of flash on them (especially the rockets where it's a heap of extra thick plastic on the fins).

I decided to experiment with Navigation Lights using clear parts, (I saw it in a thread somewhere and it looked decidedly awesome and not to hard). I'm assuming the nav lights are green and red(?) I used too large a piece of clear sprue so it too quite a while longer, so far I've only finished the red light with green still to sand. (Heck just look at the damn picks!)

nav before.JPG
Large clear part.JPG
Nav after.JPG

While I was at it I also made a proper clear gunsight to replace the kits plastic hunk of junk that came fused to the fuselage.

Gunsight-pit.JPG

I've also painted the prop. Done with a red spinner, I'm not particularly sure its historically accurate as most photos I've seen of French F4U-7's mostly have it as Gloss Navy Blue.

Prop.JPG

I've also finished the tail wheel and arrestor hook. The tail wheel I cut off and reattached at an angle so it now looks like it has been taxied. The arrestor hook I freehand striped based of a walkaround photos of a F4U-5N that was converted to a F4U-7.

tail wheel.JPG

Lastly as per my last update the wings are most certainly on now.

top.JPG
underside.JPG

@A4K By restoration do you mean picking up where you left off? Or fixing her up good as new?

Last edited:
Tama, when I say 'restoring' I mean fixing up a previously screwed up kit. In this particualr case, I hadn't attached the landing gear yet, so it was a bit easier :)
Process: paint and parts stripped as much as possible, cleaned up, and reassembled to a better standard than previously.

In an interesting turn of events, she won't be an F4U-5N now either, but am converting her to an RNZAF F4U-1 or FG-1D! Decided to finally tackle my "Rotten row" diorama of the Rukuhia F4U-/ P-40/ PV-1 scrapyard -she's going to be one of the stripped and weather beaten unfortunates...

Nice progress with your build too, btw!

Evan

Nice work so far, it's progressing well. For future reference though, you'll probably find it a lot easier, and much safer, to leave off as many delicate bits as physically possible until after the model is painted. This makes any masking easier, prevents paint getting onto parts such as landing gear, and saves small bits from being broken and lost.

Evan, I always find It hard to go back to a kit I screwed up and try and fix it up. You'd better post pictures of the diarama when its done It sounds like its going to be quite the looker, in the wasting\rusting away sense.

Terry, That sounds alot more sane, Ill try that on my next model, whatever it may be. Cheers!

Evan, I always find It hard to go back to a kit I screwed up and try and fix it up. You'd better post pictures of the diarama when its done It sounds like its going to be quite the looker, in the wasting\rusting away sense.

Know what you mean, some of my very early ones are 'parts donors' only. (There is a line beyond which it's not worth the effort! :) )
I do love bringing something back if at all possible though.

Will post pics for sure of the diorama. Have a thread already going ('Scrap Corsair/ P-40 kits/ spares anyone?'), but may start another one for the build itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back