**** DONE: 1/72 Fl.156 Storch - Captured / Aircraft in Foreign Service GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The leading edge slat was the same colour as the aircraft camouflage colours top and bottom. For instance, RLM70 and 71 on the top, RLM65 on the underside.

Dainty little thing, potty and all...
others-208.gif

That is for when one has a little to much to drink. Cannot have that stuff flying on the glass.

DBII

I am about finished. I am having problems getting the photos posted. The library computer does nto have a photo editor and this machine will not read my flash drive. I will ahve to make a trip to the college to post. I will try and get them on the thread over the weekend.

DBII

I am a little behibd in posting photos. I am just about finished. I am not happy with the dark green paint and will have to strip some off and try again. The paint is a little old and to thick.

You have to have a plan so the first picture is how I will try and paint the plane.

SUNP0012.JPG

I had to paint the slats before attaching.
SUNP0002.JPG

SUNP0001.JPG

The nose would not fit correctly. I had to sand the fitting down to the fire wall and there was still to much of a gap on the right side.

SUNP0009.JPG
SUNP0010.JPG
SUNP0011.JPG

Masking. I did not know there was so much glass on this plane. The canopy is a total of five parts including the door. I tried using a white glue and it would not hold. after using cement, I went back and filled the gaps with white glue and repainted. these pictures is before I filled in the gaps. The canopy has not been attached yet.

SUNP0008.JPG
SUNP0020.JPG
SUNP0018.JPG
SUNP0017.JPG

Since the wings attach to the canopy, I will attach the wings after painting. I do not think the canopy is sturdy enough to hold together while painting.

Attachments

• SUNP0022.JPG
    SUNP0022.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 115
  • SUNP0016.JPG
    SUNP0016.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 105
You seem to be managing and solving each problem as they arise David, I think you are doing a great job. Take it easy with those wings and as Terry advises, support them while they set.

I was not able to find out much information about my caputured bird. Here is what I did find out. The Fieseler Fi 156 Storch was designed in the summer of 1935 by Gerhard Fieseler and Reinhold Mewes. Prototypes V1 - V3 where 3 seaters and had fixed slats. The first flight was on May 24 1936. The V1 had a metal prop that was varible pitch but it had to be adjusted on the ground. V3 was a military version with a fixed wooden prop. Prototpye V4 was fitted with skies. The first production was Fi 156A-1 in 1937 with delevery to the LW late in 1937. Each LW Gruppe would receive one or two Fi 156C-1. The Fi 156C-2 was armed with a 7.92 mm MG and had provisions for a recon camera. Options included a drop tank, skies and a attachment for a stretcher.

In 1939, the Storch was given to Finland, Switzerland and Italy. Stalin was given one after signing the non-aggression pact in the summer of 1939. Stalin ordered Oleg Antonov to make copies. Soon the Russinas had their own Stork, the OKA-38 with a MV-6 engine copied fromthe renault inline 164-kW. The OKA-34 factory was over ran by the German army before the planes could be deleveried in the summer of 1941.

The Fi 165C-5 was fitted with a tropical filter and either a drop tank or recon camera for use in North Africa. The Fi 156D-1 started production in late 1941 and was produced at the same time as the Fi 156C. The D models had the right side hinges to allow for rapid loading and unloading of stretchers. The Fi 156E also came out in 1941. The E model had tandum wheels with a track to reduce wear while taxiing on rough ground.

Captured Strochs where used by all of the allied nations. At lease 47 Fi 156C-3 trop and C-5 trop were used by GB in the Mediterranian theather. By 1945 the RAF had over sixty Fi 156s on the books. VM472 was the personal aircraft of Field Marshal Montgomery.

More photos by the end of the week.

DBII

Thanks. I like doing the research on the builds. My father keep talking about an airbrush so I may be getting one soon. :)

DBII

I will have to ambush Santa and get a computer. I have been trying for a week to post more photos and computer in apt office will not read the flashdrive. Some *^%%$ kid missed up the machines again. While I did repaint the dark green the other day. It is looking much better.

DBII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back