DONE: 1/72 Hasegawa TBM-1C Avenger CV-16 USS Lexington Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And you don't have details of how you scratch built that? I'm gonna be handicapped for the rest of my life. I think you are the only 1.72nd build buddy I have ever found. Please enlighten us.

And you don't have details of how you scratch built that? I'm gonna be handicapped for the rest of my life. I think you are the only 1.72nd build buddy I have ever found. Please enlighten us.

oops, apologies sir...

the mod was basically adding the antenna elements from stretched sprue, cut into graduated lengths and glued on the original kit antenna... this process was made easier by just laying out the elements on the table, putting liquid cement on the main antenna, and just dabbing it on each antenna element, and repeated accordingly until all the elements have been properly attached to the main antenna...i found doing this a lot easier than trying to pick up each element and trying to attach these individually...

alignment is just eyeballed and adjusted using the flat side of a knife blade, CA glue + accelerator is then added on for safe measure...after that, it's painted with the proper colors (white + black), flat coated, applied some pastel weathering and installed on the wing undersides...

and voila...

hope this helps...

Hey folks,

Here's my finished photos of my PTO GB (Category-2) entry and the third finished installment of my "Battle of Leyte Gulf" builds.

avenger_01.jpg

avenger_07.jpg

avenger_04.jpg

avenger_10.jpg

avenger_11.jpg

The kit generally had good fitting, but required a bit of sanding work for it's engine cowling area. I decided to do an open bomb/torpedo bay to show the Mark13 torpedo + "aero-wing" fitting.

Custom modifications were the following;
> Engine cowling flaps replaced with aluminum sheets for open configuration;
> Torpedo/bomb bay paneling;
> Additional detailing for the ball turret;
> Additional element detailing for the "Yagi" antennas;
> Aerial wires from nylon invisible thread;

Paints were Gunze Mr Hobby acrylics (Navy Blue, Intermediate Blue and White). Weathering was done with Mr Hobby weathering pastels and oil washes.

Decals were from the spares box for the stars and bars roundels, Satellite brand for the numerics and squadron symbols from white decal sheet cut-outs.

Finishing was done with a combination of Mr Hobby gloss and flat coats.

This build, like my two previous fighter builds is dedicated to the memory of all the people who gave their lives and served their countries during WW2 in the Pacific.

I hope I did justice to this legendary Grumman aircraft.

More WIP and finished photos here...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back