DONE: 1/72 Hasegawa TBM-1C Avenger CV-16 USS Lexington Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

finally finished my favorite part of this build...gotta love those pastels...

avengerwip_weatheringcopy.jpg

avengerwip_weathering_02copy.jpg

Nice work! With your pastels, how and where you apply them and do you seal them with a coat of anything? I just found the mr.hobby pastel set and im sure its better then Tamiyas. Also, what color and where was your oil wash given, the panel lines?

did a bit more work on some finishing works...

the ball turret presented a fitting problem as it didn't want to slide in at first, but was remedied by filing the base a bit so it would slot-in just fine...this was also dusted with grey pastel color to bring out the framing detail more...

the torpedo is finally provided with an "aero-tail" fitting from styrene sheets and then weathered...

just a little bit more and this baby's ready for final presentation...

avengerwip_torpedo1copy.jpg

Nice work! With your pastels, how and where you apply them and do you seal them with a coat of anything? I just found the mr.hobby pastel set and im sure its better then Tamiyas. Also, what color and where was your oil wash given, the panel lines?

thanks folks...

hey maglar...i usually apply these with a fine brush, applied with a dusting style, very much like how portrait artists make charcoal portraits, a light dusted coat then slowly built up if you want a darker hue...

then i use a broad brush to dust off the excess pastel with lateral strokes along the length of the fuselage...

the darker areas get the light grey pastel to bring out the panel lines, while the underside (white) get's a thinned black oil wash and more dusting with charcoal black pastel...

a gloss coat base is needed for the oil wash, while a flat coat base was needed for the pastel works...a final flat coat is applied to seal up the pastels, try not to go too thick in this process as it would wash out the light grey pastel work...

try not to plop a whole blob of pastel dust and start brushing it in with heavy strokes, try light strokes first and slowly building it up to the effect that you're happy with...

hope this helps...

thanks folks...

gotta love these battle weary ww2 subjects huh...i wonder if i can include my two earlier fighter (hellcat and wildcat) builds in this GB to complete my "battle of leyte gulf" line-up???

added details on the under wing mounted radar antenna...now for the aerials and voila...finito...

avengerwip_antennacopy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back