**** DONE: Academy 1/72 Fw 190A-4 of 1./JG 51, Russia, 1943 VVS/Eastern Front GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, with Me 262 build temporary on hiatus it's a good time as any to start this one rolling me thinks...

As discussed in previous posts Academy's kit has some inaccuracies which I'll try to rectify using Wojtek's thread as a reference, but not to such level of detail as he did. Here's the extent of modifications I planned - forward fuselage to be shortened for 3,5mm, tail fin to be sanded into more correct shape, rudder to be enlarged and aft fuselage lengthened. When wings are concerned I planned only modifications regarding the main armament. As A-4 was armed with MG FF canons in outer wings and not with MG 151s as later variants, upper wing canon covers should be removed and under wing "bulges" characteristic for MG FF added. Though this particular machine didn't have MG FFs installed these changes needs to be made. Also the pitot tube should be moved inward I believe.

I started the work with the fuselage halves and here's the first progress photos...

Attachments

• Fw - 2_01.JPG
    Fw - 2_01.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 134
  • Fw - 2_02.JPG
    Fw - 2_02.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Fw - 2_03.JPG
    Fw - 2_03.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Update on the build...

Attachments

• Fw - 3_01.JPG
    Fw - 3_01.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Fw - 3_02.JPG
    Fw - 3_02.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 129
Cheers mates! Thanks for your comments.
Well, after a lot of gluing, filling and sanding here's the current state of the build... Apart from obvious proportional inaccuracies this kit leaves a lot to be desired when fitting is concerned too. This is especially noticable on upper wing-fuselage joint where I had to fill 1-1.5 mm gaps. I changed the upper fuselage machine guns as they were over sized (unfortunately I didn't took "before" shots, but those who have this kit know how that looked like). I also rescribed some of the panel lines especially on the upper wings where MG151 covers were removed. On the underside wings I added "bulges" characteristic for MG FF cannons (these were taken from Italery Bf 109F kit). I still need to sand these a little so they better blend to the wing surface. What also remains to be done is more sanding on the wing-fuselage joints and of course the tail surfaces. Apart from the new rudder, the horizontal tail also needs to be modified (it has to large span and the shape is wrong as it's not wide enough in the root). As almost everything about this kit is out of proportion the main landing gear legs are not exception. They are too long and need to be modified...

Attachments

• Fw - 4_01.JPG
    Fw - 4_01.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Fw - 4_02.JPG
    Fw - 4_02.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Fw - 4_03.JPG
    Fw - 4_03.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Fw - 4_04.JPG
    Fw - 4_04.JPG