**** DONE: Academy 1/72 Fw 190A-4 of 1./JG 51, Russia, 1943 VVS/Eastern Front GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay, here are photos as promised (not much better in quality then those I took last night unfortunately, no sun today)...

Attachments

• Fw - 6_01.JPG
    Fw - 6_01.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Fw - 6_02.JPG
    Fw - 6_02.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Fw - 6_03.JPG
    Fw - 6_03.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Fw - 6_04.JPG
    Fw - 6_04.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 152
Word or two on the camouflage pattern... Colors are RLM76 for undersides and RLM70/71 on upper surfaces. Color profile of this aircraft isn't clear enough to me about demarcation between "dark green" and "not so dark green" colors so I relied on the picture in the attachment bellow. Here it looks to me as if entire fuselage aft of the yellow band is in darker green color and you get some idea about the looks of left main wing. As for the other main wing and other side of the fuselage it's pure speculation by me...

Attachments

• Fw - 6_06.jpg
    Fw - 6_06.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Fw - 6_05.JPG
    Fw - 6_05.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Looks good Igor. I might not have brought the 76 all the way up to the underside of the elevators though. Might the yellow on the top of the rudder be the RLM 71? The tone of the colour looks different than the bottom of the rudder and it looks like there may be a swath of 71 along the top of the fin and just behind the fuselage cross.

Thanks Terry! And also to you Andy for your input. Of course there's one more picture of this aircraft where you can see more clearly the yellow segments on the rudder and aft fuselage still looks solid RLM70 to me from here too. Tail area beneath the horizontal tail surfaces I've painted as shown on the profile, but I agree, looking at the picture it's not quite clear if RLM76 goes as high as shown on the profile. Opinions?

Attachments

• Copy of Classic Publications Jagdwaffe Vol 4 Sect 3 - War in Russia - Nov 1942-Dec 1943_Page_37.jpg
    Copy of Classic Publications Jagdwaffe Vol 4 Sect 3 - War in Russia - Nov 1942-Dec 1943_Page_37.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 151
According to Christer Bergstrom and Martin Pegg's book - LW colours vol.4 section 3 Jagdwaffe The war in Russia 1942-1943 Igor is right. See the profile below...

However the same area in the small pic posted above doesn't seem to be yellow painted.

BTW...Looking great Igor. Good job so far. :thumbright:

Attachments

• Fw190A4 White11.jpg
    Fw190A4 White11.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
I see Igor. The second pic shows more of what you've done. Can't fault your decisions there except for the 76 under the elevator. I'd still go with green there.

Thanks mates!
Andy, I tend to agree with you about color beneath elevator, though the profile suggest otherwise. Might change that. Any more opinions about this? Should I paint the tail area beneath the elevator green or left it as it is and as profile shows?
Also in the second picture it seems as if small patch of darker green is visible just beneath the windscreen, but again it's not clearly enough depicted on the profile...

Here is the enlarged shot of the White11. I think the borderline between the Green and Grey colour on the fuselage under the stabiliser and elevator can be seen clearly. So the profile seems to be slightly incorrect at the area.

Attachments

• Fw190A4 White11_shot.jpg
    Fw190A4 White11_shot.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 179
Finishing touches yet to fallow, but here's one quick shot just to show progress so far. I extended green area beneath elevator and added small patch of RLM70 just bellow windscreen. Swastika decals are from aftermarket set and all other decals are spare ones from my stash. As for the original decals which came with the kit, it's understatement to say they're off register. They off the chart! White and black areas of the crosses are shifted for almost 1mm! The spare ones I used are not perfect either (especially those on the wings), but are satisfactory.

Attachments

• Fw - 7_01.JPG
    Fw - 7_01.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 142

Users who are viewing this thread

Back