**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109G-4/R6 "Yellow 11" of 13.(Slow)/JG 52 Eastern Front GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. The roughness of the area around the fuselage crosses concerns me a bit - very revealing in the close-ups. This is due to the brush painted block-outs of the ferry codes. I'll be applying several coats of Future and then a light sand before squirting the final matte coat.

Over the last week, I applied several coats of Future over the rough spots, polished them down with fine grit paper, then applied few coats of Tamiya Flat/Future mix. I hadn't done the latter before and had to try 3 different mixes before ending up with the finish I wanted. The black outlines arond the staffel dash and 11's had to be touched up carefully by hand with a very fine tip black marker. The pics below show the finished results which I'm reasonably happy with. The spinner is a bit shinier than the rest of the plane but I think I'll leave it that way.

As it sits today, the masks have been removed but a few touch ups are needed. The canopy was removed, which I may now leave open, and the wheels and prop have been installed. The tires were filed flat and have been dirtied up a bit.

Left to be done are the fiddley bits including the antenna mast and wire, gunsight, new brass MG151 barrels, pitot, and D/F loop. Getting closer to finishing this baby!

Attachments

• 110430 8 oclock closeup.jpg
    110430 8 oclock closeup.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 110430 4 oclock closeup.jpg
    110430 4 oclock closeup.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 110430 10 oclock.jpg
    110430 10 oclock.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 110430 4 oclock.jpg
    110430 4 oclock.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 110430 Nose closeup.jpg
    110430 Nose closeup.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 128
Thanks guys. I include a small update here as I near completion and I have a question at the end that maybe someone can help me with.

First off is a pic of the almost finished gondola and cannon barrel. The latter is a brass tube and has been painted with a mix of flat black and silver. The point where it enters the gondola has been built up with PVA glue to simulate the cloth or leather shroud at this point. I'm not keen on the paint job here so I'll lighten it a bit and then make it flat. There's a tiny bit of touch up needed on the end of the barrel as well.

110503 Cannon.jpg

Next up is the antenna wire made of stretched clear sprue. Yet to install is the intermediate wire that runs down to the fuselage and that's what my question is about below.

110503 Antenna Wire.jpg

I've studied a number of profiles and 3 view drawings and have observed that, at some point in the G series, the wire running down to the fuselage apparently moved further back than where it was previously located on the F model. The side view below is purported to be of a G-2. Note the location of the vertical wire in black. I've added in red where I've seen this wire appear in profiles of later G models.

bf109 antenna.jpg

Since this model is a G-4, I want to get this wire in the right place so does anyone know which of the two locations would be correct?

Not being a 109 buff, afraid I can't help you Andy but geese the cannon and aerial looks good. May I ask what the little blob on the wire at the cockpit end is, I take it you made it from a blob of CA

The connection was moved to the "red" position between frames 7 and 8 from the G-3 onwards, the attachment was a small circular panel with a hole in the centre through which the wire ran, as opposed to the small cylindrical "cup" type lead in between frames 5 and 6.

Aha, thanks Wayne! I figure it was somewhere in there as the drawings over at 109 Lair include the G-2 and G-5 with nothing in between and this is where the change shows up. Thanks mate!

Vic, the blobs are actually Testors Clear Parts Cement which I think is a form of PVA. There's actually one at the rudder end as well, just visible at the elevator hinge line. I often build these up over a couple of applications and have yet to finish off the spring that is right aft the foward post location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back