**** DONE: 1/48 La-5FN – VVS/Eastern Front 1941-45 Split Build, GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks folks.

Reflecting back to that moment of drama the only remaining bit needing attention was one of the two cannon mounted over the engine. The starboard side one was snapped off almost at mid point on the barrel. Just sticking it back on was going to make it look odd and out of sorts, so the solution was to make one, this then lead to two as I wanted reasonable compatability.

So here are the resulting pics:

110507-1A.jpg

110507-1B.jpg

110507-1C.jpg

Thanks Andy and Harrison, I was kind of wrapped by them myself.

110509-1A.jpg

Now for those of you interested, here are a couple of 'Bob's Buckles' and yes they are very tiny.

110509-1C.jpg

110509-1B.jpg

As for the La-5, we are almost done. So while waiting for the PVA glue to set on the aerial, here are a couple of pics. Maybe tomorrow I can give it a dust down with some powder and then a final matt varnish, then we can sort out the canopy bits. I got to say that now I have got to this stage, it's almost an anticlimax.

Thanks for the comments guys, certainly puts a smile on this old dial.
MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gif

Did a bit more to the La-5FN today, gave it the final dull coat spray, painted the aerials and had a general clean-up. Peeling of all the masking from the canopy went okay until the back one came adrift, which was just as well as I found a load of Maskol stuck under it. This was duly repositioned and secured down but when it came to putting on the slide back part, well it just wasn't going to fit. The canopy sits over the back part nice and snug but is not connecting at the base onto the slide rails.

110510-1A.jpg

My solution was to glue a couple of Evergreen strips on the base of the canopy on either side and tomorrow I'll cut these down and do a fit, if okay it's just a touch of paint and we should be fine to finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back