**** DONE: 1/48 La-5FN – VVS/Eastern Front 1941-45 Split Build, GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: 1 – Advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Zvezda Kit No 4801 – La-5FN Soviet Fighter
Model Type: La-5FN 'White 01' as flown by Captain Vitaly Ivanovich Popkov, 5.Gv.IAP, 11 Gv.IAD, 2 Gv.Shak, 1st Ukranian Front, 1;43.

Extras: Eduard Photo Etched Detail – 49386. Eduard Mask EX225.

References: Soviet Aces of World War 2 – Osprey Aircraft of the Aces 15 by Hugh Morgan.

After my GB8 build, I thought I'd best slow the pace a little and keep it nice and simple. This will also be the first time I've used a masking set and pre coloured etched detail.

110211-1A.jpg

110211-1B.jpg

110211-1C.jpg

General-lejtenant Vitaly Ivanovich Popkov

1 May 1922 - 6 February 2010. Popkov was a Soviet dighter pilot in the World War II and became an ace credited with 41 victories, twice awarded the 'Hero of the Soviet Union'.

110211-1D.jpg

110211-1E.jpg

110211-1F.jpg

Popkov joined the Soviet Army in 1940 and graduated from The Chuguevskaya Military-aviation School of Pilots in 1941. He was the Squad Commander of the 5th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment of 207th Fighter Aviation Division of the 3rd Mixed Aviation Corps of 17th Air Army of the South-Western Front. He became the Fighter Squadron Commander (comesqa) of the 5th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment of 11th Fighter Aviation Division of 2nd Guards Assault Aviation Corps of 2nd Air Army of the 1st Ukrainian Front in 1943 and a Lieutenant General of Aviation in 1968.

For proven merit in combat Popkov was awarded the 'Order of Lenin' and in the summer of 1943 in the Battle of Kursk he downed 3 Luftwaffe in a single combat encounter. By August 1943 he had achieved 168 combat missions and was involved in 45 air battles which accounted for 17 victories. On 8th September 1943 Popkov was awarded his first 'Hero of the Soviet Union', just prior to taking command of the 5th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment. His second 'Hero of the Soviet Union' award was made on 27th June 1945.

His record for the 2nd World War was 475 missions which incorporated 117 air battles and a victory tally of 41 planes. He also received the 'Order of Lenin' three times (26 August 1942, 9 August 1943 and 28 September 1956), the 'Order of the Red Banner' twice (30 July 1943 and 6 April 1955), the 'Order of Alexander Nevsky' (17 August 1944), the 'Order of the Patriotic War 1st Degree twice (23 May 1943 and 4 June 1985) and the 'Order of the Red Star' twice (30 December 1956 and 27 December 1982) as well as a number of campaign medals including the 'Battle of Merit', the 'Battle of Königsberg' and the 'Battle of Berlin'.

Popkov continued in the military after the war and in 1951 graduated from the Military Aviation Academy and then the Military Academy of the General Staff of the USSR in 1964. In 1968 he was promoted to Lieutenant General of Aviation and taught at the Military Air Technical college between 1980 and 1989 when he retired from military life.

110211-1G.jpg

He becoming an Honorary Citizen of Moscow on 13 September 2000 and a film titled 'Only Old Men Are Going to Battle' based on his biography was made in 1973. There is also a commemorative bronze bust of Popkov in Moscow's Samotechnava Square which was erected in 1953.

Popkov was also made an Honorary Citizen of numerous other cities across Russia and Europe, namely Magadan, Sochi, Kiev, Odessa, Dnepropetrovsk, Gagry, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava, Parndorfa and Krasnika.

Last edited by a moderator:
So That's IT?????

Your gonna have soooo much spare time....
The garden, cooking, Hil.......... goodonyah.

But then your gonna have to build a place for the Cat!

Last edited:
Great choice that one Vic and good background info on the pilot. Will fallow your work with great interest.
Cheers!

Nice one Vic. I will be doing one of these in 1/72.
I was having a mooch on the net and found a review of this kit that stated it was best to join the fuselage halves before fitting the wings to ensure a good joint at the wing root.
From the pics I saw it looks to be a good kit but there is a lot of inerior detail that will never be seen.

According to my source the La-5FN wore a non-standard tri-colour camo scheme. What is more the outline of red stars was yellow but not white, I think. If you have a look at the image where the red star and the white strip is in, you might notice a difference between these colours.

Thanks for that Wojetk, it seems I'll have to do a bit of hunting myself at I have conflicting references with regard to camo colours and also the star. One refers to a two tone grey upper surface with light blue underside and has the star with a white inner edge boxed in by a thin red outer edge. The other reference depicts a three tone camo of a green, grey and light brown and a light blue underside and the star having a greyish outer edge without the thin red outline...............a pondering delama.

I see Vic. I think the problem might have been caused by two La 5FNs with similar markings that were flown by the pilot servicing in the 5th GIAP. The first one was the La used during the late Autumn and the Winter of 1943. The plane was painted with AMT-1 and AMT-4 on overall painted upper surfaces with AMT-11. Of course the light blue on undesides. The white number 01, two withe bands on the fuselage. There was a small inscription in Russian below the number on the straboard. Also, there was the Guard emblem on the port side of the engine cowling and a head of a tiger on the starboard of the cowling. The spinner was of white like the tail top. And there were small victory red stars on the port side fuselage certainly.
The second La 5FN was used starting from the Spring of 1944. She was wearing the standard camouflage made by a factory that consisted of AMT11 on all top surfaces and spots of AMT-4 that replaced the AMT-12, the light blue colour on undersides. There were two white bands on the fuselage like showed above, the number 01 was yellow. The red stars with yellow outline and a thin outer red edge. No inscription, no the Guard emblem, no the head of the tiger. The spinner and the rudder were yellow, also the front of the engine cowling ( a thin band (ring)). The vicory markings like above.

According to my source the La-5FN wore a non-standard tri-colour camo scheme. What is more the outline of red stars was yellow but not white, I think. If you have a look at the image where the red star and the white strip is in, you might notice a difference between these colours.

This fantasy of the ancient Czechoslovak Magazine
Standard color on top АМТ-11/12. Spinner and ring of cowling- white. Sign of the "Gvardia" on the cowling should not be.
Mistake that the VVS used a lot of yellow paint. Too likely to confuse his plane in the air with the aircraft Luftwaffe because of this
It is rather a difference in the shades of paint or glitter
The same effect can be seen on Bf109F-2 «white 9» of Hans Philipp
_________

Profile signed by Popkov 06/26/2003:

На этом самолёте я не знал поражений в течении длительного периода Великой Отечественной войны (с 1943 и до победы). «Жеребчик» лихо вывозил из самых трудных периодов в/б.

With this plane I was unbeateble for a long time of WW2 (1943-45). "Stallion" sucessfully carried me out of many hard episodes of air combat. Signature. 26.06.03

Attachments

• Popkov-3.jpg
    Popkov-3.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 412
  • Popkov.jpg
    Popkov.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 573
This fantasy of the ancient Czechoslovak Magazine

Unfortunately it isn't the old magazine . I have found it in Ajaks publication "Militaria i fakty" no.48 issues in 2008.

Looking at the pic above I would agree that the profile of the second La 5FN with the yellow ring, rudder and the spinner, was incorrect.

My thanks to you Wojetk and Wotan for the interesting information and discussion. From what both of you say and from the additional details I've managed to find today I'm going to go for the earlier La-5FN of Popkov particularly as the photo of him as a Captain standing next to his aircraft in September 1943 (see 1st post) looks as though it would have been a white edged star on the double white aircraft waist bands.

You mentioned Wojetk a small inscription under the number on the stbd side and also refer to a triple camouflage on the upper airframe. Would the inscription and the plan and side profiles of the camouflage be shown in the magazine "Militaria i fakty" no.48 you mention. If so I will try and get myself a copy.

Vic, where can I find, or have you found the colors for the cockpit. I am assuming color would be the same for my La-7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back