**** DONE: Curtiss P-40M-5 Kittyhawk III, ‘Wairarapa Wildcat’, C’wealth GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fuselage now has the extended tail section in place....and try as I might not all the panel lines match up perfectly from the joining...so a bit of extra work required....and fitted the cockpit as well!

Attachments

• 35_Fuselage assembled_0102.jpg
    35_Fuselage assembled_0102.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 36_Fuselage assembled_0096.jpg
    36_Fuselage assembled_0096.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 92
  • 37_Cockpit fitted_0098.jpg
    37_Cockpit fitted_0098.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 94
Looks good from here Wayne but you are 110% while I am at best 90-95% :lol:.Now I have seen two schools of thought on these tail assemblies and the other is to glue it to the fuse first then build like a regular plane.I think this is done to forgo the issues you just mentioned?Cheers

Very neat work Wayne, I can't even see that tail joint! I have a P-40K kit with the same arrangement and every time I take it out of the box thinking of doing it I look at that separate tail and put it back!

Great stuff Wayne, we learn so much watching your builds take shape. I have a question tho. Do you file down the mating surfaces flat on the fuselage and wings to minimize the gaps for filling? I do and I get little gap filling and it looked to me you may do the same thing.

Great stuff Wayne, we learn so much watching your builds take shape. I have a question tho. Do you file down the mating surfaces flat on the fuselage and wings to minimize the gaps for filling? I do and I get little gap filling and it looked to me you may do the same thing.

Always check and dry fit everything to get the best fit, so yes there is filing and sanding to some degree.

when I fitted the tail section together I was very careful to get the parts together with proper alignment, as well as the fuselage section, but once they went together some of the panel lines just did not line up correctly.

some pics before i glued the wings together... wings are nearly done now more tomorrow!

Attachments

• Wing  Wheel wells__0127.JPG
    Wing Wheel wells__0127.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Wing  Wheel wells_0129.JPG
    Wing Wheel wells_0129.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 121

Users who are viewing this thread

Back