**** DONE: Curtiss P-40M Wairarapa Wildcat FO Geoffrey Fisken Commonwealth GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great work Glenn, you need to make one alteration to the white stripes on the Port Aileron...paint over them as this aileron was apparently replaced, and the white not repainted.

Thanks Wayne, I'll see what I can do about that tonight. I looked at the reference pics I have and only one shows the port aileron but its too blurry to tell. Do you have a better pic?

Thanks Wayne, I'll see what I can do about that tonight. I looked at the reference pics I have and only one shows the port aileron but its too blurry to tell. Do you have a better pic?

This might help....:D

There is another photo that i blew up and while it is not the best it looks to me like the upper side is not painted either, which definitely makes sense.

...and I wonder about the colour of the aileron too?

Attachments

• fisken missing white stripe..jpg
    fisken missing white stripe..jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
That differently shows it Wayne. I re-painted it it late last night but didn't take any pics. I figured the paint would be different so a used a different shade of OD from either the fuselage or the other control surfaces. The bottom I just painted with the same Neutral gray, but because it isn't covered with Future it looks lighter than the rest of the underside. I'm pleased with the results and will post some pics tonight.

The port aileron repainted and I put on the panel line wash which also did a pretty good job of dirtying thing up.
Some how I managed to loose a landing gear leg, so I'm in the process of making a new one out of a piece of sprue. Déjà vu from the BoB group build. Why do these things always happen at the end when there is no time to deal with it.

P2254247.JPG
P2254248.JPG
P2254249.JPG
P2254246.JPG

Last edited:
Landing gear leg work is continuing and It looks like it will work out fine. Pictures later. The weathering and dullcoat is finished and the masks have been removed. The pastels were put on after the first application of dullcoat so the power had something to stick to. I used mostly brown and tan pastels and smeared them all over as I wanted it to looked pretty weatherbeaten. also used a little black exhaust staining, then sprayed on another coat if dullcoat to seal the pastels.

P2264251.JPG
P2264250.JPG
P2264252.JPG
P2264253.JPG
P2264254.JPG
P2264255.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks David, where've you been? Haven't seen you around in a while.
I finished the new landing gear leg as shown in the first two pictures along with the wheels, and the gear doors and cowl flaps shown in the third pic. The last three pics show the Wairarapa Wildcat on her legs for the first time with the new gear leg on the left.

P2264256.JPG
P2264257.JPG
P2264259.JPG
P2264260.JPG
P2264261.JPG
P2264262.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back