**** DONE: Curtiss P-40M Wairarapa Wildcat FO Geoffrey Fisken Commonwealth GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Guys.
I finished the basic paint job and will let it set a day or two before I do anything else.

Picture 1) The fabric control surfaces painted a lighter shade of Olive Drab.

Pictures 2 3) Masking for main OD painting.

Picture 4) Painting finished and masking removed.

Picture 5-7 Close-ups of the line between the OD and gray. You can see that I need to do a little clean up on the left wing root. I'll do this with sand paper because of what happened on the right wing root when I tried to fix the same problem with a q-tip dampened with thinner. Took off the gray off too and will have to be touched up.

P2124230.JPG
P2124231.JPG
P2124232.JPG
P2124233.JPG
P2124235.JPG
P2124234.JPG
P2124236.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys, nice to know you're watching my slow progress.
I was hoping to get some decals on this weekend, but the clear coat isn't moving along as fast as I had hoped. I've put 3 brushed coats of Future on today and am still not satisfied with the finish. I'll take another look at it tomorrow and decide if I want to give it another coat. If not, then maybe decals. Either way I should have some new pics tomorrow.

Still looked grainy this morning so I gave it another coat. The OD paint was very flat so I think that's why it's taking so many coat's of Future. Next time I think I might try buffing the paint to shine it up a little first. I usually wait a few days after the Future before I start the decals, but I'm running out of time here - only 8 days left - so I have to get a good start on them by tonight if I'm going to finish on time. If only I hadn't waited so long for a response from Eduard about the wheel wells.
The pressure's on!!

Still having trouble with the Future. I started decaling and had to stop because the Future started coming off! I managed to get the two decals that I had started on and wiped off the sticky mess with Windex. The picture shows it after I had touched up the areas with more Future. I'll wait a few days before starting again, but I'm seriously running out of time now.

P2204239.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back