**** DONE: Curtiss P-40M Wairarapa Wildcat FO Geoffrey Fisken Commonwealth GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, and I remember the time when the only type of putty available was the 'Plastic Wood' wood filler - no us to man or beast!

I use CA for filler so much I can't remember the last time I used putty.

The horizontal tail fins on. Real nice fit. This kit doesn't seem to have any in-between, it's either a great fit (in most cases) or terrible (the wing joint)

P2034208.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I finished re-scribing the panel lines final sanding, and will start masking. Hopefully paint this weekend.

Looking forward to seeing some paint on this Glenn,great tip on using ca as a filler. Do you have trouble feathering the edge down at all doing this?

Do you have trouble feathering the edge down at all doing this?
No not at all, that's why I like using CA so much. You just can't let it sit around. Never do more filling than you can file flush and sand within about a half hour otherwise it gets harder than the surrounding plastic and becomes hard to work. I use a medium thickness CA and accelerator. Wait about 5 seconds after you hit it with the accelerator, wipe it off with a tissue and start right in with the needle file. The faster you start, the softer the CA is, and the easier it is to take off with the file.

Last edited:
It sure is coming along nicely Glenn even with the headaches with the wing roots.I'm in the same family with "waiting to see some paint" keep poking in from time to time.Cheers

No not at all, that's why I like using CA so much. You just can't let it sit around. Never do more filling than you can file flush and sand within about a half hour otherwise it gets harder than the surrounding plastic and becomes hard to work. I use a medium thickness CA and accelerator. Wait about 5 seconds after you hit it with the accelerator, wipe it off with a tissue and start right in with the needle file. The faster you start, the softer the CA is, and the easier it is to take off with the file.

Sounds like we are on the same page with the CA glenn..:thumbright:

My goal this weekend is to get the major painting done.

Picture 1) All masking done and ready for paint. The precut masks fit perfectly, but the sticky stuff on then pulled off around the edges when I removed them from the backing, probably due to the fact that I've had this kit for at least 8 years. I used the masks as a pattern to cut new ones from Tamiya tape.

Pictures 2 3) I was about to paint when I remembered that I meant to drill this vent hole. I took pic 3 at the Air Force Museum and pic 4 is the model.

Picture 4) Neutral gray paint complete.

Picture 5) I sprayed the gray on the upper fuselage to check the areas where I did major filing and sanding at the wing roots and the rear windows. Everything looked fine.

Tonight I'll mask off the neutral gray areas and paint the control surfaces with a lighter color OD then tomorrow mask them off and paint the topside regular OD

P2124224.JPG
P2110384.JPG
P2124226.JPG
P2124228.JPG
P2124229.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back