**** DONE: 1/48 Curtiss P-40 N "Hep Cat" 75 Sqdn RAAF Commonwealth GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thank you all guys.

Andy following your tip worked a treat but 30 - 40 minutes of masking for 30 -40 seconds of painting was a right pain !!!!

never thought of it like that mate, very true though :D

anybody have any thoughts on how weathered Hep Cat may have been, its hard to tell from the pictures i've seen !

I'm sure Andy (Wildcat) will chip in with some pics....got some myself so will post a couple tomorrow night Karl...

Dusty comes to mind over the green though!

Here's a pic, got my daughter to create the jpeg off the PDF...quicker than me trying to figure it out on this new laptop....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• P-40.jpg
    P-40.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Good going Karl - As far as weathering goes you can go as far as you want I would say. It was the aircraft of the squadron CO, first Tolhurst and then Thomson. In the formation shot it appears to be either 'fresh' or to have been 'waxed' for a bit of extra speed, so it might have been kept in better nick than the other squadron aircraft. By the time they finished their stint in the islands they were all a bit worse for wear.8)

Cheers

Peter

Good going Karl - As far as weathering goes you can go as far as you want I would say. It was the aircraft of the squadron CO, first Tolhurst and then Thomson. In the formation shot it appears to be either 'fresh' or to have been 'waxed' for a bit of extra speed, so it might have been kept in better nick than the other squadron aircraft. By the time they finished their stint in the islands they were all a bit worse for wear.8)

Cheers

Peter

thanks Peter, i look at that formation pic with the caption saying "at the wars end" and wonder if they were given a good clean up knowing the picture was going to be taken ?
pic below is from "Seek and strike" by David Wilson - all photo credits to him and Alan Thompson

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 106
thanks Guy's, i'm going to try and fade the upper colours a bit and maybe plenty of muck along the wing roots where mucky booted groundcrew and pilot trampled it in !

got a couple of hours of modelling time a bit later on this aftie to give it a go

well my plan didn't quite work out !
tha paint job looks a little faded, but not how i quite wanted and rather than ruin it i've decided to leave it as is.
i've done the panel lines with a pencil and added a bit of gun smoke and exhaust staining which i'll add to after the decals are on.
the spinner and prop are dry fitted for now and a coat of future is on as well.
pics are a bit poor as its freezing here with a very dark overcast at the moment so they were shot under a desk lamp :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 88
It's looking bl**dy good mate! I think the 'fading' will look even better once the matt coat goes on. If you can mix some Tamiya Flat Base with 'Klear' (Future), then add just a touch more Flat base (experiment first), it'll give a more faded look still. Then, when dry, you could add some spots, patches etc of the actual colour, to give a patchy effect, or where rain, hands etc have moved the dust. That's how i finished-off the Spit, having dry-brushed and used pastels first.

OK mate. Add a touch of flat base to the Vallejo, just a touch, and try it on some scrap painted in a dark colour. You're aiming to get a normal, clear matt finish, with just a hint of 'mist' to it. If you add too much Flat base, it'll start to leave a white, dusty look, so just add a tad more Vallejo, and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back