**** DONE: Curtiss P-40M Wairarapa Wildcat FO Geoffrey Fisken Commonwealth GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good just the same Glenn. I've had similar problems with Future lately, having to give more coats than usual, even brushed on, to the point I've reverted back to using gloss enamel varnish for the gloss clear coat, with Future used with Flat Base for the finish coat.

Hmm. Does the stuff have a shelf life or needs to be mixed up every now and then? I have a 1 litre bottle and use a few thimbles full for each model so the bottle I have will likely outlast me.

It very well might be too old. I've had this bottle of Future 6 or 7 years, but it worked just fine on the 3 kits I did for the BoB group build a couple of months ago. I think maybe the main problem was that I waited only one day before starting the decals. I usually wait a few days or a week, but with the deadline so close I wanted to get all the decals on over the weekend. I'll wait another day or two and try again. I might be Ok as long as I get them all on and sealed by the end of the week, but that will be pushing it.

It looks like the problem was that I was going too fast. The decals went on fine today with no adverse effect on the Future, and no apparent silvering. I still need to paint some white to dress up the stripes, most notably at the base of the tail fin and the front of the landing gear fairing.

P2224240.JPG
P2224241.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm starting to feel like I might make it the deadline now. I finished all the touch-up painting and will seal the decals with Future before work tomorrow it I can get up a little early. That should give it plenty of time to cure before I start the panel line wash Friday night or Saturday. I also started work on some of the 'fiddly bits'. These should be ready to put on by the time the weathering is finished.

P2234242.JPG
P2234243.JPG
P2234244.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back