**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Bf 109C - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was the first prototype Bf109, pre-war, and there wasn't a German engine ready at that time.
Full circle post-war, and the Spanish, licence-built Hispano 'Buchon' (basically a '109G) got the RR Merlin, as the supply of DB engines had ceased.

My first attempts were with a fine tip paint brush and thin paint and I thought it looked like crepe. Then I tried the silver pencil and liked that a lot better. I was never able to get them random enough in placement and size. Then I came across this sponge technique and I really like it. You just have to have a really rough texture sponge and just a bit of paint on it and dab away. The chips are nice and random and variously shaped. Me like!

I haven't updated in a while, but here it is with the weathering and panel lines done, the dull coat applied along with pastel exhaust staining.
I remove the canopy masks and there is some residue I still have to remove.
I know some of you guys will think the weathering and exhaust staining is too heavy, but I'm trying to depict it as an obsolete bird well past its prime and used only for training. The last 2 pictures are what I used as references for the weathering.
P1012562.JPG
P1012563.JPG
P1012564.JPG
5382d4234532ef765c3e52aaac90f5e0.jpg
517150_d1f9af9c71aa94efddb4d301b3accaa4 (2).jpg

Very nicely done Glenn, and the weathering / staining looks good - the mg staining, as Andy mentioned, might be a little heavy, but as the guns were buried in the wings, it's possible that the arrangement could very well leave heavy staining. I've seen it in photos of '109E-1s, with the same armament, although hard to tell if it was as prominent, due to highlights in the pics concerned.
If my Hobbycraft '109Es turn out as well, I'll be happy enough.

Nothing wrong with that weathering Glenn but if concerned about the cannon stains, maybe a light dusting of of sand or mud dust will lighten them. I have some old make-up containers that I use for dusting.

I haven't updated in a while, but here it is with the weathering and panel lines done, the dull coat applied along with pastel exhaust staining.
I remove the canopy masks and there is some residue I still have to remove.
I know some of you guys will think the weathering and exhaust staining is too heavy, but I'm trying to depict it as an obsolete bird well past its prime and used only for training. The last 2 pictures are what I used as references for the weathering.View attachment 482129 View attachment 482130 View attachment 482131 View attachment 482132 View attachment 482133
Are you going to use a spiral style spinner on this build? Love the photos of the weathered and worn bf109's--great stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back