**** DONE: GB-36 1:48 Macchi C.205 ( 1 ) - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice start Geo :thumbleft:. I used Gunze H312 (FS34227) for the cockpit which is a pretty good match for Verde Anticorrosione. Although I actually darkened it a bit through black-basing to account for shadowing in the cockpit.

Thanks guys, one more post after this and the sameness stops. Cockpit floor done.

IMG_0010.JPG

The difference between the Hasegawa IP on the left and Italeri on the right. The Italeri had the dials as singles and in groups of three. The two center sections of the Hasegawa decals were one piece. I could not get these to lay down no matter what I used and in the end I slathered Future over them. I hope this isn't a harbinger of the rest of the Hasegawa decals

IMG_0015.JPG

Because the kit is actually a C.202 with extra bits to bring it up to a C.205, the front of the exhaust cut-out has to be.....ah....cut out.

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0004.jpg

The innards in. The way both kits want you to do this is to glue both sidewalls to the floor, sans attachment points. Then attach the IP to 2 slots in the sidewalls trying to ensure everything lines up. In the end I glue the sidewalls to their respective indents in the fuselage and let it set. Then I glued the floor into its respective notches on the right side. The IP was also glued into the right sidewall slot. I used tube glue here and let it set up a bit and then joined the fuselage halves together. Poking and prodding at the floor and IP ensured the went into there respective orifices. I then taped the fuselage halves together and let everything set for the nignt.

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

OK....I lied. The difference starts here. This aircraft maintains its MGs (arrows)so no minor surgery is required: that being the removal of the MGs on the leading edge and opening slots on the upper and lower wing halves.

IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG

The wheel wells are a veritable rats nest of pipes and tubing. Reading other builds around the net revealed that some of those who do try to add every one they can find end up having fit issues later on.

upload_2017-12-12_8-14-45.png

From the Stormo Magazine site, an awesome site for Italian aircraft...STORMO! :: View topic - Macchi Veltro Colors?

I'm sure you've seen our discussion over on Kirby's Folgore thread but the Eduard 202 engine bay upgrade might fit the Veltro kit.

edu_648278_parts.jpg

The Eduard kit is a rehash of the Hasegawa C.202 as is the Has C.205 with correction parts so it should all slam together nicely. I haven't seen another build using it but I'm sure there wouldn't be problems. Thanks Mike

Wheel well innards test fitted using my 3rd arm and 4th extra thumb. One thing I've learned is never commit anything to glue on "camp bus leaving day"; things can go sideways if I'm not here for 7 days. Note the inconvenient ejector marks, those on the back wall have already been cleaned up. Sprue marks to be removed as well.

IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back