**** DONE: GB-36 1:48 Macchi C.205 ( 1 ) - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That I do Glenn. This is a rehash of (2)

I added the large intakes to both aircraft. When it got to the two lower intakes I paused and went looking for references. The instructions has one place the filters/screens(?) deep in the intakes at "A" but a check of a photo online shows that they are located near the front "2"...

img_0006-jpg.jpg

c-205-jpg.jpg

...also note the butterfly shutter on the upper intake which I will attempt to make.

Those screens defiantly should be further forward. Doesn't look like a whole lot on detail on them either. Maybe you could glue a bit of fine mesh on them for texture. I found a ribbon made of fine mesh I keep for just that purpose. This time of year you might have some around and not realize it

Good eye for detail Geo. The butterfly would be closed on the ground so the air sucked in through the filter to eliminate dust from the air. Once airborne, the butterfly would be opened for direct air intake.

Good point. I wish I had found this pic earlier. That upper intake was in two pieces, the smaller piece was a half-moon shaped piece that attached to the front and it would have been easier to attach a small disk before gluing them together. An attempt will be made

Ditto my reply in (2).
For future reference, apart from metal mesh sheets, there is also 'Sylon' mesh, which is available in very fine grades, measured in microns. It's the same stuff as used in very fine filters, such a carburettors and fuel filters, and some house hold items, for example, fine kitchen sieves, wine strainers, and the 'fluff filter' in tumble driers.Easy to cut and glue, although the edges can be a bit ragged on some of the larger micron types.

Oh, oh ! There goes Geo, stripping down the fuel system on his neighbour's car !

Thanks all. Waiting to start work: -21C. When I get in tomorrow I'm gonna search high and low for a period photo of that butterfly shutter in the open position and unless the caption says "This was the one and only time these were ever open on the ground", I'll pose it open. There is some very fine "mesh" on the other filters. I'll post a pic when I get home. A wash should pop it out as well

Defiantly open. My guess is that it was part of the per-flight to check the position and set it accordingly. That filter had to have caused at least some airflow loss so was only used when necessary

Great stuff Andy. In the words of Old Lodge Skins..."It makes my heart soar...." . A lot easier to do than trying to fit one closed me thinks

Thanks Steph. After a morning of searching for my fine mesh it turned out to be not fine enough. This is the kit part with engraved "mesh"....

IMG_0001.JPG

....and with the not so fine mesh overlaid...

IMG_0002.JPG

I'll just paint the kit part and give it a wash, close enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back