**** DONE: GB-41 1:48 KAWANISHI N1K2-J "EARLY" - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It seems that the Kawanishi N1K1-J Shiden 11 didn't have the hatch and the window there. These two details can be found with the N1K2-J Shiden 21.
But also the Shiden 21 could have had the hatch masked with a piece of coated fabric or just not like these in the enlarged shots below.

N1K1-J
Kawanishi_N1K1-J.jpg

N1K2-J
Kawanishi N1K2-J_.jpg

Kawanishi N1K2-J_a.jpg

Kawanishi N1K2-J_b.jpg

the pic source: Kawanishi N1K2-J Shiden Kai, George (Navy Interceptor Fighter), US Captured. [photograph]

As mentioned, I added Evergreen .010 x .030" strip along the wing join. This stuff softens when attached with liquid glue so I glued about ¼" at a time and just before it set I used a toothpick to coax it along the contour. The front part was a little more difficult having a bigger bend. I kept the strip just above the plastic, glued it into place the same as the first part but left it for half an hour. I then added more glue, the plastic softened and I could bend it around the curve When done I trimmed off the extra and sanded the strip flush with the wing. No filler required. I tapered the rear part of the strip to make sure it didn't interfere with the fuselage.

IMG_0004.JPG

This is just press fit into place, I'll add the flaps first and then start gluing...

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

Many thanks. The cockpit side walls are attached and will ensure no details will be seen. As per Wayne I glued one side to the fuselage to allow for a spreader to be placed in position after the fuselage has been glued together and lessen the gaps at the wing/fuselage join. A quick test fit shows that I will need to shorten up the spreader a wee bit. Nothing done today, in PG for an airport run and shopping. No work will be done tomorrow either as I'll be back in PG tomorrow. The missus will be in the dentists chair off and on for eight hours. During today's raid I claimed victory in what only Luis could probably appreciate....Ambrosia......

....my other source dried up last year and I was getting panicky having only two bottle left
An apology for the delay in responding. I had not seen the photo, until I returned the page to update your progress.
Immediately caught my attention, "Jarritos" (small jugs) is a Mexican brand of soft drinks that are still produced here.
My favorite is mandarin and the photo is missing the grape. :couchpotato:
(Magy just reminded me that there are also tamarind, lemon and tutti frutti) :hungry:
They remind me of my childhood and are still found in many towns and communities in the interior of Mexico. In Wall Mart, Costco and many "taquerias" (taco restaurants) you find them.

Where did you get them?

Abrazo y excelente proceso con tu nipon. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Getting the sticky outy thangs painted up. Just need to find a clear shot of the run of the brake lines and I can paint the landing gear. I have several shots that I can piece together. Also trying to find a good shot of the lower moving surfaces to see if they were painted the grey-green colour one usually associates with the A6M family. The majority of modellers seem to favor painting them the underside colour but these photos shows a difference.

1551700572876.png

WIKI: PUBLIC DOMAIN

1551705790112.png

INTERNET

Last edited:
My references say that the undersides were of the dull natural aluminium colour.

color1.jpg

Regarding the brake lines .. check PMs please.

PM checked and thanked. I go to Urban's site for the last few days and when I click on the colours I get this...

1551707557410.png

The The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart is hit or miss for me but today it works and FS. 34092 is listed as Tamiya XF-27 Deep Green. What I was looking at was if the lower parts of the ailerons and elevators were the greyish green colour or just aluminium.

The colour is mentioned in my references as the Kawanishi dark blue-green one. So judging by the FS 34092 colour chip below the paint could be.

34092.jpg

also the Gunze Sangyo offers a similar colour for the plane..

gunzeCS668_1.jpg

However I found the mix for the paint ...

shiden colours.jpg

regarding the ailerons and elevators ... I would say the silver coat was applied there. The two enlarged shots show the same tone there.. but it is possible that the IJN Grey could be used there too.

NASM-SI-72-3983a.jpg

NASM-SI-72-3983b.jpg

I would tell you that mixing xf11 and XF71 50/50 and ready this I read from Nick Millman, for me one of the top experts in Japanese aviation,
if it were on a larger scale it recommends the xf71, although the color that most resembles the one used by the Japanese is the C383 of gunze (fs34088 according to experts).
You can also use what you put in this link
here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back