**** DONE: GB-41 1:48 KAWANISHI N1K2-J "EARLY" - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys and thanks for that Sergio. Interesting that it shows the underside of the moving surfaces as a different colour than the rest of the airframe. Laid down some white as a base for the yellow leading edge markings and the white stripe at the aft of the aircraft. That'll be all for now, camp bus in one hour. Have a good week gentlemen

IMG_0004.JPG

that you are going for another great model, which lately is giving you very well.
great job for the moment

Thanks all. Misstep on on the wing yellow I.D. band front. I bought some ModelMaster Enamel Yellow and thought I would try my hand at enamel paint for the first time. Aztek has enamel paint tips so I swapped out the acrylic tip. Stuff wouldn't spray no matter what I did. I mixed it 3:1 as recommended with lacquer thinner, sprayed at about 18psi and all I got was bubbles in the cup. If I barely pulled the trigger back I would get some spray. After about 15 minutes I gave up and thoroughly cleaned the AB. I looked at the tip after everything was cleaned up and it looked like the needle will seal off the opening when trigger is pulled all the way back. I spent this morning removing what paint made it to the wing and then washing the model. I'll shoot some Vallejo Yellow later. Anyhoo....I put the landing gear, with added brake-line together. I managed to dislodge the wheel cover piece for the photo shoot. There are two small attachment points, smaller than the one you can see two thirds of the way up the right gear. Out comes the crazy glue..........

IMG_0002.JPG

Sprayed Tamiya Flat Aluminium on the bottom. Also sprayed some on the fuselage sides and inner wings where I want to show wear. I'm going to try the hairspray method for the first time and have a quick question before I start. I know the hairspray should be odorless but I read some where that there should also be a chemical missing from the ingredients but I can't remember what it was or where I read it. Is anyone aware of this or should I just go with the odorless?

Yeller has been shot.

IMG_0005.JPG

Waiting for this to dry, I thought I would put the wheel pieces together which was a slight pain in the keester. This was on the inside of both wheels...

IMG_0010.JPG

While cleaning this up I noticed that the wheels had a very slight flat spot. I was going to put this on hold until the model was done but Hasegawa seems to have a solution to keeping the flat spot in the right place...

IMG_0006.JPG

The yellow MM enamel problem could be the thinner your using. I always use the Testors of Model Master airbrush thinner. Yellow is usually a bit more difficult but I've never had it refuse to spray at all

Thanks Glenn and Hugh. Methinks I'm going to break down and order some of that dedicated thinner Glenn. In the meantime, I went back to Vallejo. I sprayed the white fuselage band and then laid down a coat of Tamiya Flat Aluminum for my first venture into hair spray chipping. I sprayed at my normal 18psi but I couldn't see where I was spraying. I could see where it started to get wet but I seemed to dry immediately. I probably sprayed the inner wings and fuselage for about 10 minutes and in the end i couldn't tell the difference. I let it dry over-night and sprayed on Tamiya XF-11, J.N. Green. I let it dry for about an hour. I started on the left side, adding water and then started scrubbing with Citadels Dry Brush, this is a slightly firm. Lo and behold the paint started come off, more so on the right side. The only picture I have just show a little bit of the rear right fuselage and it wasn't weathered very much. I'll put this down as a partial success.

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

I'm also going to slightly weather the fuselage band

Users who are viewing this thread

Back