**** DONE: GB-41 1:72 Spitfire MK VIII - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ha ! A friend and I had models and these boxes of army men that were cheap. We used to build elaborate forts and battle fields and then blow them up with fire crackers, lighter fluid and of course the old BB gun and pellet rifle routine. What can I say, we didn't have X Boxes !

Ha ! A friend and I had models and these boxes of army men that were cheap. We used to build elaborate forts and battle fields and then blow them up with fire crackers, lighter fluid and of course the old BB gun and pellet rifle routine. What can I say, we didn't have X Boxes !
I had fun with something similar but the one who suffered it was my dad, I was about 6 years old and he had his collection of 1/72 WWII birds and I enjoyed an authentic battle. Without survivors. There was not even Atari yet! :dontknow:

Going back to the subject, good progress Graham

Saludos :thumbup:

Spitfire was a good fighter and this one is living up to it's name and giving me a good fight. The seam on the front of the fuselage is a bit nasty but nothing some mud won't fix. Fitting the wings to the fuselage is a different story. Does not fit. I ended up having to hog out the center section of the wings to clear the bottom of the cockpit parts. That was not enough for a tight fit so I ended up having to shave off parts of the cockpit bottom. While I was doing that the pilot seat went into "ejection" mode. Took nearly 20 minuits of fiddling around to get it to fit back in through the opening without breaking it. I was about to give up thinking I might have to split the fuselage open to get it back in and voila ! Stuck it back in with a big blob of glue under the seat. I'm a bit disappointed with the wing fit given the high marks given Eduard kits seem to get , this is my first and I hope an exception. Onward.

SpitMK8 (27)r.jpg

They wouldn't fit any higher, there's pretty obvious index marks and all the bulkheads fit up tight to the top of the fuselage. I thought I must have glued something together wrong but can't see how ?

So I've done some nosing around on the interweb and it would appear that it's an issue with this kit. The cockpit is too wide apparently ? It felt like it was hitting on the bottom of the cockpit ? I just couldn't see how it was possible to glue it in too low.

Wings are on and some mud as well. I removed the elevators but chickened out over removing the flaps. Now it's just a matter of cleaning up the mud without wiping out some of the fine surface detail. Still can't see how I ran into fit issues with the wings though filing down the wing roots at the fuselage seemed to help more than hogging out the bottom of wings.

SpitMK8 (30)r.jpg

I am glad to see and know that you are overcoming the drawbacks, Graham :thumbright:... Modeling would not be what it means if all projects were easy and simple.
Those moments of disbelief, frustration, anger, recognition, sanity, asking for help and diverse satisfactions, make this a reflection of what it means to be alive.

For this and more, many know that she is my therapist :shock: ... and boy,... she have know to how help me! ... (and everything she still needs to amend me :crazy:)

Saludos a todos y buen fin de semana. :thumbup:

Regarding the children, we could start a great thread and talk about all of them.
My children are 25 and 23 years old, they live in Monterrey, NL.
Magy has 4 children (she married very young ... almost a girl <many already know her in photos> :love4:) her older children are 40 and 37 (I tell them in joke "my brothers-in-law") and two ladies of 33 and 17.
We all fill our mouths talking about the children ... But our subject here is another.

Saludos a todos los padres orgullosos del foro. :notworthy: :thumbup:

Wings are on and some mud as well. I removed the elevators but chickened out over removing the flaps. Now it's just a matter of cleaning up the mud without wiping out some of the fine surface detail. Still can't see how I ran into fit issues with the wings though filing down the wing roots at the fuselage seemed to help more than hogging out the bottom of wings.

View attachment 532044

That is the best way to repair seams, tape both sides. Just keeps it a little neater to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back