**** DONE: GB-41 1:72 Spitfire MK VIII - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some more paint pictures. Trying to mimic the painted out RAF roundels was a bit of a challenge but I think it turned out. I'm loving this kit. It's the first Eduard kit I've built. Apart from some fit issues with the wings it's been smooth sailing. The surface detail is amazing for this scale ! I had to make a new riveting tool to fix the ones that got sanded off but otherwise no problems. The decals however I'm sure will be an adventure ! The shark mouth decal just stares at me saying " c'mon I dare you " !

SpitMK8 (34)r.jpg

SpitMK8 (35)r.jpg

SpitMK8 (37)r.jpg

It must be some kind of miracle !! I admit, I'm a spazz when it comes to decals and I generally don't like doing them. I figured for sure I would have a battle with the shark mouth. I was already mapping out a strategy to paint it on before I even started. To my surprise it worked out great. It helps the decal was in 4 pieces but I thought no way no how is a flat decal going to settle down flat on a compound curve without turning to poo ! Some decal setting solution and some gentle probing and poking with a damp Q Tip and no problems ! The only issue is the white decals. they seem to be a bit milky looking but otherwise OK. I still have a bunch of stencils that are so tiny I doubt anyone would see them but I'm going to apply as many as I can before I blow my corneas out.

SpitMK8 (38)r.jpg

SpitMK8 (39)r.jpg

SpitMK8 (40)r.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's because when the planes were turned over to the RAAF, they just painted over all the RAF markings with their own RAAF paint rather than re paint the whole plane. At least that's what I was able to find. I thought it was odd as well, especially the roundels on the wings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back