**** DONE: GB-41 1:72 Spitfire MK VIII - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You don't see it because it's not there ! The Instructions or the set of parts are wrong. Not being very up on Spitfires nuts and bolts wise it took me a bit to figure out what was up. PE1 (A) is supposed to replace ridiculously thick part B40 from the kit but it doesn't exist. PE1 is actually the frame for the back of the seat so I ended up making one out of beer can aluminum. B40 (D) is too thick and wouldn't work with the PE seat frame and besides I knew it was way thicker than the armoured plate that sits back there unless it was made of concrete ! The other thing is part B, no where on the instructions does it show this part used, it took me a while to figure out it's the frame for the inside of the cockpit door or flap. Fantastic kit though. First Eduard kit I've done and it's perfect so far !

photoetch.jpg

Eduard's recent offerings are probably my favourite kits. Somehow they messed up those instructions though. It almost seems like they took one of their sheets from more detailed PE set and did a bad copy and paste job.

Anyway, your beer can solution is just as good so onward and upward!

Well I knew all those years dabbling in brain surgery would pay off some day. PE foot pedals. Took me quite a while to fold them up so they were symmetrical with tweezers. It took a lot of patience and a touch of OCD didn't hurt either but I got it done. The straps were another story. Brilliantly the PE set supplies three straps assuming of course you will loose one due to their microscopic size which I did. I didn't really lose it, it's more like it vaporized. Not to worry two left. After about half an hour of trying to bend them to shape I gave up and decided to use aluminum tape instead. At any rate the fuselage is ready to close up. Excellent kit so far ! The detail for this scale is pretty impressive !

SpitMK8 (21)r.jpg
SpitMK8 (22)r.jpg
SpitMK8 (24)r.jpg

Thanks all, First "non" Luftwaffe kit I've done in probably 20 years, well since I got back into the hobby. I built dozens of RAF kit's 40 odd years ago but none of them compared in any way to this one ! Airfix, Frog, Italeri, Revell and the lot. How things have changed !

It definitely is a far cry from the last Spitfire I built. Airfix, probably 1973 ? The only other Spit I built was the old Monogram 1:48 issue a few years before that alas. was a victim of my youthful fire cracker and pellet gun phase.

airfix.JPG

Ive always harboured a secret desire to build a flying RC stuka with a real bomb made from a shotgun shell an aluminium tube and a home made firing pin.

I'm probably now headed to homeland security for saying that you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back