**** DONE: GB-42 1/48 Fieseler Fi156 Storch - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wayne.

After lifting the masks briefly on the upper canopy to check that no glue seeped in behind the framing I added, I was finally able to slide the wings over the steel spar and secure them in place with the upper canopy. Though the fit is extremely close and precise, a little bit of persuasion was needed close a small gap in the clear part..

19081101.jpg

Once the glue set, I removed the clamp and applied another clear coat to seal the decals. This time, the thimble full of Future was tinted with a small amount of Tamiya brown and white to simulate dust and fading on the surface and, most importantly, to tone down the stark black Balkenkreuz decals.

19081102.jpg

The next step will be to complete some weathering and then apply a final flat coat before gluing on the remaining underwing struts.

Thanks for looking in.

Thanks Geo.

Pulling all the masks off the canopy went well but it did reveal one spot where a drop of apparently very thin paint got onto the inside of the windscreen. Of course it was on the same side as the open door so not easy to get to......except that I was able to bend my Tamiya detail swab into a shepherd's hook which did the trick:

20190815_131749.jpg

Here's a close up of the canopy with masks removed. This is after I cleaned it - no before pic I'm afraid.

19081501.jpg

A somewhat blurry shot of the newly installed oil cooler and painted exhausts follows. The latter had some paint get under the masks which I will need to touch up on the RLM 65 bit around the opening. The oil cooler had both ends drilled out and painted black.

19081502.jpg

Getting close now. Just have to add the wing struts, prop, pitot tube, and door and we should be good to go.

Well **** me gently - this is a truly stunning build Andy, more so that it's such a complex and, for want of better words, awkward b*gger to. first. assemble, and then paint and detail.
I remember doing the Airfix 1/72nd scale kit, back in, I guess, the very late 1960's, with a 'simple' splinter colour scheme, and still recall the problems of painting around struts, undercart etc - with a brush, before airbrushes were readily available at less than a King's ransom - and that was more than tricky.
Top marks my friend, and you can't better this, - surely ............. (expecting an 'Airplane' reply !!)

Roger Victor!

Lovely words Terry, thanks so much. The build and paint sequence did take some planning and it would not have worked had the kit not featured such excellent fit and innovative engineering at the wing attachments. A satusfying build to be sure.

Glued the door in place in the open position (seems to have been a common pose in the desert to keep the heat down), added the struts, landing light, and pitot tube.

19081601.jpg

Close up of the port side showing landing light and pitot.

19081602.jpg

Starboard side with open door.

19081603.jpg

Having now painted the prop and drybrushed silver for chipping, I now need to check whether or not it was wood!

Thanks for looking.

EDIT: Yep, the prop is wood so repaint needed!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back