**** DONE: GB-42 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Left side complete. Roundels need a lot of coxing to settle over some wing protrusions. The upper one still needs some work after 3 baths of solution and pressing a very hot cloth over it; the cloth having the best results. Right side to be done next week and then the sticky-outy bit. Weekend is over, camp bus in 3 hours. Have a good week gentlemen

1565200717605.png

Looks good Geo, try a hair dryer on the decals, I've been doing that lately and it works as good as decal softener in some cases. See you when you get back.

Thanks all. Decals are done and settled. On finals now: flat coat and lil bits. I started putting the 6 piece prop assembly together and couldn't get the back plate to sit flush with the spinner. There is a square hole in the back of the propeller part that fits over a corresponding nub on the back plate. Three nubs inside the spinner fit into three slots also in the back plate. What isn't shown in the instructions is that there is only one way to put the prop onto the back plate. Put it on wrong and two of the propeller blades will interfere ever so slightly with the slots in the back plate. Once I fiddled around a bit I got a nice flush fit. No other build mentioned this

1565911901700.png

I think Airfix made a little faux pas. The instructions call for these exhausts on my version...

1565916904022.png

but I don't see the gun-heater tube at the back of the real aircraft...

1565917017771.png

I'm thinking I need to use 2...

1565917330578.png

Heater tube might be there in the pic, but, from memory, without checking my references, it may have been deleted for tropical use and, I think, it was only on the port side anyway.

Found another photo of a Vb in "Malta Spitfire Aces". The caption says it was one of the first Vbs delivered to Malta. The aircraft is parked almost exactly as mine is and the heater tube is clearly shown. I'll go without the tube.

Thanks guys. Dullness achieved, new exhausts painted and installed.

003.JPG

004.JPG

One landing gear strut attached; very fiddly and nerve wracking. I'll let this set up and then do the other

Users who are viewing this thread

Back