**** DONE: GB-42 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice detective work, Terry, great modelling as always, Geo. Watching you guys work is fascinating.

Many thanks. This is just a test. In the photo on the first page the aircraft looks far from pristine so I thought I'd try some pre-shading. I didn't want to use black, being too stark, but too late in realizing that this shade of grey might be too light. C'est la vie.

1562628291747.png

Now you just need to make sure your paint goes on in very light, thin coats until you achieve the effect you want. Nice to see you experimenting with colour variations.

Looks ok Geo, I've been playing with that technique myself. There are two methods of achieving a similar result, one being what you are doing, a light and dark pattern of an undercoat, or to lighten/darken the base color. I tend to lean more to the later as you have more control over the immediate outcome. I would suggest maybe starting out by lightening highlights and work toward a random pattern rather then just spraying random dots.

Thanks Tim. I'll try using the later method for the top side. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to achieve the dusty look of the photo. Looking at lightly dusting diluted Middlestone or RLM 79 on after the decals

I'm particularly Leary of pics, especially B&W, where equipment looks very dusty/grungy, I think it's a trick of the light. What you'd be more likely looking at is along the lines of "road film", which I think a subtle mix of pastels, Matt and semigloss clear coats bring out. the best. Along the same lines of what you are thinking is to add a touch of grey or brown to the clear coat which is a more controllable approach.

Not Malta but I think from the same climate so would probably give you a good idea of what you are shooting for
Spitfire boneyard.  Situated in Gabes, Tunisia, this Spitfire dump was used to strip usable pa...jpg
Spitfire Pilot.  Flt. Lt. Pentland of 417 Sqn. is being strapped in at a base in North Africa..jpg
The Supermarine Spitfire pilot of ER622, No 40 Squadron, South African Air Force confers with ...jpg

Dusty look. Three choices come to mind, all of which require experimentation on a mule.

1. The flat clear coats that I have used tend to get a dusty look the more coats you apply so more clear coats might give you the look you want.

2. Apply a VERY thin spray coat of a light sand colour from 8 to 10 inches away from the model.

3. Add a tiny amount of the light sand colour to the clear coat that you will use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back