**** DONE: GB-42 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Actually, a 4th way. On this P-40, I lightly brushed on some white artist pastel dust over the model after all coats applied and then added an effect on the walk areas on the wing roots by dabbing a flat clear coat to represent the dust being scuffed off the surface:

111023-8-oclock-level-jpg.jpg
111023-pit-4-jpg.jpg
111023-weathered-roundel-jpg.jpg

Some good suggestions.
The use of 'extra' flat clear mentioned by Andy works well, although try it on a scrap model first, to get the desired effect.
On my 'Bob Cross' Spit V build, I applied a very light dusting of pastel, and then added more than usual Tamiya Flat Base to acrylic clear gloss varnish, which gave a slightly 'dusty' finish.
The pic below shows the final result.

Bob Cross Spit V 148.jpg

Good stuff gents. I think I might have to give my mule a darker coat first to better see results. What can be seen here is attempts at free hand camo. I don't think the new colour was applied very precisely given the amount of over spray seen at the rear in the opening photo.https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/spitfire-ab2641-jpg.537534/

1562776535753.png

That will all have to wait for a week however, camp bus in 4½ hours. Have a good week ya'll

Thanks all. I finally built up some enthusiasm and got back to it. I have three different mixes for Dk. Earth, the third being Andy's on his Hurricane. I went with version two; Tamiya Flat Earth XF-52, Red Brown XF-64, 1:1 for the sole reason being that's the paint I have. Doing the tedious task of masking the clear parts and then I'll shoot the Sea Grey.

1564766242044.png

1564766298506.png

Thanks guys. Second camo colour is on and not too happy with it. 1) I'm out of the colour and 2) I tried something different. As this alternate colour was applied in field I feel there wasn't too much care with accuracy when it was applied as noticed with the over-spray. I read the best way to apply a fairly tight spray edge was to heavily dilute the paint, I think I was about 1 paint to 8ish thinner @ about 10-12psi . I marked out the demarcations in pencil and started spraying. The first thing I notice is that it is taking forever to cover the pencil. I moved into the centers and again taking a long time. The only plus of this is that I was achieving a nice "faded" patchwork over the Dk. Earth. I decided to go with this for the sole reason that I was now rapidly running out of paint and plum near forgot about the clear parts. I did mange, barely, to capture the over-spray look at the upper/lower camo demarcation. I'll clear-coat tomorrow and maybe get the decals on before camp.

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

The next time I'll go a little heavier on the paint. The Aztek Tan nozzle sprays very fine lines and I can get away with a 1:2 paint/thinner ratio at about 15psi. Having said that, I probably would have run out of paint here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back