**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Bf109K-4 - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again. I was dialed in working on the ETC rack/drop tank assembly last night so didn't stop to take step by step pictures. I wanted to make this an assembly so that the retaining strap on the tank, usually moulded as a triangular blob, could be replaced with something looking like a true strap. This is tricky to get the right tension and so I elected to cut a slot in the rack and thread some Tamiya bendy vinyl tape through the slot and around the tank. First, the too-short stabilizer legs on the Zvezda spare rack were cut off and new ones built from brass tube and card. Fuel and air lines were also added using brass tube. Once all that had set, I mated the tank to the stabilizers, put a thin dab of CA on the ends, and threaded the strap around the tank. I still have to finish the detail at the strap buckle and will then paint the whole thing and add the decals before gluing the whole assembly to the underside of the model toward the end.

21033102.jpg
21033103.jpg
21033104.jpg
21033105.jpg

Thanks again for tagging along and for the kudos.

Very cool set-up. I keep forgetting about using the clamp to hold all it in place. I use the triangular lady sponges for wing support. I don't own tools for the rear supports
z11.png

Thanks again. Bit of work on the wheels to clean up seams, paint and weather. Initial inspection of the kit missed a moulding defect on one of the hubs where there's a big sink hole although the detail is maintained. Weird. Anyway, I'm hoping that the dirt more or less hides it.

21040401.jpg
21040402.jpg

Still trying to get used to Irfanview for colour correction. The tape between hub and tire is supposed to be red and I can't figure out how to crop pics to maintain the same aspect ratio as the original photo.

The wing root seams have been worked and the areas painted and glossed. I decided to eliminate the RLM75 patch on the port wing and to take the 83 right up the fairing.

21040903.jpg
21040901.jpg

Although the outer wheel well doors were often removed, I decided to have these mounted as they were a distinguishing feature of the K-4. Unfortunately, the bulges moulded in by Hasegawa shouldn't be there and I was lucky that there was JUST enough meat left after filing the bulge flush on the first one. Before doing the other one, I allowed a bit of CA to pool on the inside in case I blow through this time.

21040902.jpg

I'll be adding some stencil decals to the wings next and will post some pics once that's done. Thanks for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back