**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Bf109K-4 - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again. The project has been in somewhat of a holding pattern as I was was messing around with Mosquito restoration home project in preparation for our AGM. I have also been corresponding with Wayne over the last week on what the wing camo colours would be. Almost certainly, the wings would be in 75/83 but the conundrum now is whether or not the 81 on the fuselage should in fact be 75 as well. That would involve a tricky overspray - not impossible, just a pain. Plus I do like the Braunviolet. Still doing a bit of reading before I pull the trigger on the top colours but in the meantime, I applied the swastikas and painted/glossed the wing undersides.

21032011.jpg
21032012.jpg

Thanks again. My 9 year old laptop is acting up and I'm pretty sure that my ethernet adapter is on life support so I may be rare until I solve this. Meantime, a quick update. Decided with great help from Wayne that wing uppers will be 75/83 and that the pattern will be based on Red 7 (once ID'd as Blue 7) since wavy camo on fuselage closely resembles White 16. Starboard wing is easy, port wing root area not so much so will base on Japo 1997 book scheme shown below which can be applied to the visible parts of Red 7 pictures. The debatable part is whether, or not, the lighter shade is present on the port wing root.

Capture.JPG

Despite some strong arguments from Wayne favouring replacing the RLM 81 on my already-painted fuselage with 75, I've decide that I will leave it as is because 1) it will be tricky to redo it, 2) most if not all publications with pics and profiles, including Claes Sundin's, maintain that the colour behind the canopy is 81 and finally, 3) I like it. That said, if I had not painted the model already, I would have probably gone with the 75 as suggested by Wayne as the evidence is strong. I will, however, need to do a minor fix on the port side to make the scheme match Red 7 (more on that in a later post.)

The other thing that I will do is change the nose cowl from 83/75 to 75/77 as that's suggested by the pics and profiles, is fairly easy to do, and will add interest to the chosen scheme. The pic below shows the beginnings of the process. The 83 on the cowl has been masked and painted with 75 and I masked and painted the wing root fairings, leaving a bare area where the seam is. The wing uppers have received the 75 over primer and await the 83 which I may start later today. The flaps are temporarily held in place for this purpose and will be modelled deployed.

21032211.jpg

Thanks again for looking and I hope to be back with an update sooner than later.

Thanks again all. Playing with a new old laptop now and miss my old Photoshop program. Have downloaded Irfanview now and am getting used to that.

This pic shows the nose cowl repainted 75/77:

21032403.jpg

Perhaps a tad light on the 77 but will make do. The correction on the demarcation of the 81/83 follows. It's this area that will be modified:

21032404.jpg

Apologies for the blurry pics. First, I had to protect the markings and the octane decal and then the 83 was carefully applied in the more correct manner:

21032402.jpg

The mask was then removed to reveal a satisfactory result.

21032404.jpg

More to come shortly.

Attachments

• 21032401.jpg
    21032401.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 29
Couple more. The wing uppers and bits have been painted 83/75 and glossed.

21032501.jpg

Closeup showing the added rivets. I'm glad they show up, albeit subtly.

21032502.jpg

The scalloped leading edge was airbushed by hand:

21032503.jpg

Thanks again for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back