**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Bf109K-4 - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks gents. Some good progress today.

This thing is a real exercise in masking! The vertical stab on a lot of K-4's were painted with a template and so the blotches were hard edged and many were identical patterns. I started by clipping an image of the pattern off the net after having confirmed that it looks the same as on the White 16 photos. I then traced the pattern in Illustrator to make a vector file for my Cricut cutter.

The masks were then applied to the model. As the rudder was a completely different pattern, this was masked off as well.

The 83 was then sprayed on the fin and the masks were removed. The RLM 81 under the canopy was then applied freehand and the Black JG53 band was then masked and sprayed. I used Tamiya Nato Black for the band.

And then the moment of truth - these pics were taken immediately after all masks were removed. Everything turned out pretty good except for some bleed on the starboard side on the loop of the 6.

The port side is a bit of conjecture as there is only one semi-decent pic that I've seen from this side here:

The patchy colours are completely intentional to reflect the hasty application and wear. I've not yet decided what to do with the canopy frame as the option is to paint it in 81 like the surrounding fuselage or in 66. Opinions welcome.

I'm pretty pleased at how it turned out so far. Now I need to figure out what to do with the wings.

Thanks again for following.

Glad to hear! I'd rather have that than work in a vacuum!

So, I'm struggling with what to do with the wing uppers as there seem to be several possibilities. I'm thinking probably 81/83 rather than 75/83, though the latter would look cool. Then there's an early and late pattern according to Japo and also a negative pattern with dark and light colours reversed. Grrrr!!!

Thanks Hugh.

I was fiddling with the wing underside today. I boxed in the two ammo chutes with card. and may need to jink these around a bit to even them out. The plan was to make the chutes not touch the walls of the openings and I sorta got that but it could be better. The smaller slot for the 30mm shells is too narrow to worry about so will be left alone. The arrows point to two holes drilled to receive some brass tubes later that will represent oil breather vents. The circled notch will be for the supercharge pressure relief valve outlet.

A final dry-fit check of the fit of the wings to the fuselage confirms that I can go ahead and paint the wings separately without too much worry about messy seams. I'll have some minor touch-ups to do but I don't see any putty here. If you look closely, you can make out the added rivets on top and bottom.

My rig has the rack for the drop tank and so I'll need to install one. Hasegawa provides a pretty rudimentary one left below) but I think I'm going to use a much nicer one left over from my Zvezda kit (at right). The only issue with this one is that the sway arms are a too short but that's an easy fix as they are on a separate insert.

At this point I'm not sure that I'll add the tank.

Thanks for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread